Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Quick brisket advice needed...

I just put on my first brisket without a real plan in mind.... I know, bad idea. I was trying to get it on the egg to make sure it is done in time for dinner tomorrow.

Here is my dilemma:

12lb whole brisket, point and flat. Coated with mustard and bad byrons rub then put on the egg indirect at 225 w/apple wood chunks. My problem is, I am not sure when to pull the point from the flat to make burnt ends. Kinda worried because this is my first attempt at a brisket and my better halfs family is coming over for dinner tomorrow.

Any guidance?

LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  (Adopted) Mini October 2013 • XLBGE December 2013

Comments

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,084
    I've never done them, but I think burnt ends are typically sliced off the finished brisket and put back on the egg in a foil pan with the drippings for another 30 minutes or so.

Locust Grove, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Thanks, I just found a YouTube video that explains it really well.
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  (Adopted) Mini October 2013 • XLBGE December 2013
  • I separate the point from the flat when the flat has reached that probe slides in like butter. Usually that is 190 - 205 it seems for the briskets I get. Then wrap the flat in foil then FTC the flat.  While it is getting relaxed and happy, I cube the point, put into an aluminum pan, add some more rub, sauce and back on the grill for a couple of hours until they are tender and the sauce caramelized to the meat. Slice flat and serve with burnt ends.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • I wrap in butcher paper when the flat hits 180º, that's' s when I separate the point. Cube it up add rub to the cubes in a foil pan for about 3hours then add a little sauce for another hour. Judges candy is ready!