Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets talk steak

Options
How do I cook them so they come out GREAT?  I want to discuss a few kinds of cuts as well.

Cut 1 - Ribeye/Porterhouse ~3/4 - 1 Inch thick

Cut 2 - Filet Mignon 1-1.5 in thick

Cut 3 - Skirt/Flank thin (marinated and un-marinated - is their a difference)

Issues - I like my steaks medium to medium-are - Wife likes her's well done (including Filet).  I can not make these come out great and get pissed off when I spend the extra money for dry aged or butcher cut meats.  They end up tasting like basic grocery store ground beef.

I know use the thermopen for 125-130 doe medium rare so pull at 120-125?  Well done pull at 150?

I also have a spider and usually try the reverse sear.  For the thinker cut,  I put the steaks raised direct at 400 for 4-5 min a side then pull off - crank up the Egg to 600 and put the steaks back on the Spider/cast iron for 2 min a side. - This will make the steaks WELL done or burnt.

The flank cuts I do Top of fire ring - 400 direct.

What am I doing wrong.  Forget using the thermopen when using the spider - too hot.

I may try and get some steaks for dinner tonight/tomorrow and dont want to waste more money or should I just by cheap grocery store steaks and order pizza for me?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• bicktrav
    Options
    Don't bother shelling out a ton of cash if you're going to cook them above medium rare.  Hate to be judgmental of someone else's preference, but you're cooking out all the benefits of high-end steak at that point.  There's always a temp rise after you pull, so shoot for 5-10 degrees under your target temp.  120-25 for medium rare should work fine.  If you're doing a reverse sear, you shouldn't be going as high as 400 for the initial portion of the cook.  Try to keep the temp in the area of 275 to bring the internal temp up.  If you're dropping the steak into a spider on cast iron for the final sear, definitely don't do two minutes per side.  That's going to overcook them, as you rightly pointed out. I'd go a minute per side tops if you're putting it in the spider on cast iron.  With flank and skirt steaks, top of the fire ring direct is fine, but you should go higher than 400.  Try to get to around 600 and sear each side for about two minutes.  You might want to do this on cast iron; it'll create better carmelization.  Don't bother with a reverse sear for cuts of meat as thin as a flank or skirt steak.  Just sear the outside and call it a day.  In fact, for any cut under an inch thick, you probably don't want to reverse sear.
    Southern California
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    ribey less than 1 inch use the hottub methos and finish over i higher heat.  sear hers a little sooner and wrap in foil when done, then cook yours (you can do heres meium and the carryover in foil witll cook it some more). if you like fatty ribeyes prime is fine but i like a good choice ribey better. medium rare on a ribey i pull at 125/127, sometimes they over cook just a bit but the ribey is still good. porterhouse has some loin cut in there, i pull at 123, its funny how a few degress makes a difference but i cook them less than a ribeye, flanks even less as i want them medium rare max. thick steaks get trexed, those fillets start out thick but if you dont bacon wrap or tie with a string they thin out during the cook, they need to be tied, the bacon doesnt add as much flavor wise as it does holding them up so they dont collapse. with your wifes steak, if she wants it cooked more, toss it on for another couple minutes or nuke it
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Here is my $.02.  When you are doing a reverse sear- don't bother trying to take the temp during the sear.  Measure the temp during the roast period and once it reaches the desired temp let it rest while the grill heats up for searing.  The steak is basically cooked at this point and you are just trying to put a crust on it.  You may want to check the temp to ensure it has stopped rising from carry over.  Get the grill nice and hot, and only go about 1 minute per side.  Like @bicktrav said doing this on cast iron works great as well, especially for thinner steaks. 

I'm also gonna agree that if your wife likes it well done then there is not much you can do to make it good :).  Perhaps you could try to go to the "medium well" range?  If you cook the steak to 140 or even a little under and let it rest usually most of the pink will be gone.  150 is pretty darn high.  I would try cooking it to 140 and see if she is ok with it.  You can always throw it back on the grill. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    Don't bother shelling out a ton of cash if you're going to cook them above medium rare. Hate to be judgmental of someone else's preference, but you're cooking out all the benefits of high-end steak at that point.

This. In No Reservations Bourdain specifically talks about restaurants taking the end pieces and other 'less perfect' cuts and saves them for people who ordered a well-done steak.

I've had decent results with thinner steaks using the constant flip method (APL I think), where you use direct, relatively high heat, but flip every 20-30 seconds so you don't get those grey edges you get flipping once.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I should have said I do not reverse sear the flanks.  If I am cooking a flank or a large piece of meat to share how do I cook 1/2 medium rare and 1/2 well?  I dont want to pull at med-rare and cut as all the juices will flow out and dry out the steak even more.

Is there way to cook the steak down low on the fire/spider only without overcooking only? 

How about raised only - whats the secret? 

How to make a Steakhouse tasting steak?  bullion cubes on top??

Garnerville, NY
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I should have said I do not reverse sear the flanks.  If I am cooking a flank or a large piece of meat to share how do I cook 1/2 medium rare and 1/2 well?  I dont want to pull at med-rare and cut as all the juices will flow out and dry out the steak even more.

Not sure that you can. I'd cut it in half before cooking it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I sometimes wonder if someone who wants a steak well done really wants a steak to begin with.  I mean, are they sitting there thinking, "Oh god, I can't wait to sink my teeth into a nice well done steak", or are they really thinking "Well, if I have to have steak, make it well done so I don't puke."  If it is the latter, I think I'd make the effort to cook them something else that they really want to eat.
    The Naked Whiz
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I have a large and medium and use them a lot just dont post a lot.  I bought temperature controller and cook in a water bath all steaks now(sous vide)  It delivers medium from edge to edge,

I still use egg to sear before serving and these are the best steaks I have ever cooked.
  • Cuda1965
    Options
    I think some people are just scarred to have a steak any other way than well done. I have been slowly getting my wife to eat med, med-rare steaks. At first she was really hesitant but after a little prodding, and possibly a little bending of the truth on what temp the meat was cooked to, she is much happy with the taste.

Now her sister on the other hand, just doesn't know any better. She likes her steaks WELL done, and eats them with ketchup.