Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My neighbors hate me! OT

Options

up at 6am with smoke a blazin into their windows.  I just moved in 2 months ago...im sure they are tired of my egg usage 4-5 times per week but at least normally it is in the evening.  Should I feel bad?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No. Just invite them ever so often. You will become the hero
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    NFW-matter-of-fact you will likely convert them.  Are you sure they hate you or is it envy?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • busmania
    Options
    Not sure they "hate" it but I just feel bad.  The other day I heard them close all their windows when I started...this morning im sure they were awoken by it (windows were open).  The **** thing is I have a huge yard with tons of privacy but their house just happens to be situated that all of their windows face my patio...where the egg is.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Early morning starts can cause the neighbours to be upset, not because it's BBQ but because for the first 20 minutes it smells like someone's house might be burning.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Put an extended chimney on your egg.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Send peace offerings. I live in a townhouse so I do this often for my next door neighbors. Seems to work so far; no "For Sale" sign yet.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Like @Mickey said, definitely invite them over sometimes or take a peace offering to them occasionally. They may be less likely to complain or get snotty if you do that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I've had neighbors come check to make sure the house isn't on fire, but no one seems to mind the smell once the Egg's up and running - particularly if there's 20 pounds of pig in there and I share.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just ask them... Would you rather smell my butt or kiss my butt.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    well seeing ive been burning some old moldy carpeting in the pit lately im sure my neighbors arent complaining about me lighting the egg
    :)) i would get them over for a  dinner on your patio, maybe some late night appetizers with some beverages, always seems to help keep up the neighborhood relations
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Well, it could be worse. At least their dog isn't crapping on your lawn.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • busmania
    Options

haha, actually they have a fairly yappy dog that they though bothered me but I made it clear that its a dog...they are supposed to bark.  Doesn't bother me.  Maybe these two things even themselves out. Ill offer a peace offering next time I see them!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    busmania said:

haha, actually they have a fairly yappy dog that they though bothered me but I made it clear that its a dog...they are supposed to bark.  Doesn't bother me.  Maybe these two things even themselves out. Ill offer a peace offering next time I see them!

start throwing nibbles over the fence to the dog. No more barking and the neighbors will wonder why it's starting to mooch.