Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Two Ways

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum

Seems like there has been quite a bit of talk about spatchcock chickens this week...at least to me. Got me in the mood to do one. Thought I'd use up the last of my Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish, but when I went to season the bird, it seemed I did not have enough. Easy enough to fix...cut it in half. Believe it or not, this is the first time I've done half chickens, at least that I can remember. For the other half, I dug through the cabinets and found a bottle of John Henry Texas Chicken Tickler that I had forgotten about. Out of all their rubs that I have tried, its the only one I've found that I liked. So that went on the other half. 400F direct using the AR until it was done. Sorry, didn't time it. I was enjoying a good book and a big ole glass of ice water, spending some quality time with Mrs. G and letting the dogs chase the squirrels out of our yard. Twas a good night.

On a side note, anybody having problems with photobucket lately? I can't get anything to upload this week. Super slow and keeps giving me an IO Error, whatever that means. Might have to switch to somebody else if anybody has any recommendations...

imageimage

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    That's some tasty looking chicken! Did you add any wood for smoke? I'm having PB problems too. I'm wondering if it is apple's new operating system that is messing with the PB app.
  • Griffin
    Options

There might have been some red oak left over from my brisket cook, but other than that, no wood was added.

I was thinking that might be it, but I haven't updated my phone yet and I tried uploading it to my computer and then going from there and it still didn't work.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice birds men
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Ice water? :))  Nice looking birds!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Griffin
    Options
    @RAC I haven't been feeling the best this week so I'm taking a break and cleansing out my system. Not to mention I have to work all weekend so I want to take it easy. And to top it off, taking 4 days next week to go hunting so there will be plenty of drinking going on after the hunting and during the grilling/smoking late into the night. Gotta be rested up for that.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Nice birds men

Thanks, I thought I would do them Mickeystyle (minus the coffee rub). :)

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Mickey said:
    Nice birds men

Thanks, I thought I would do them Mickeystyle (minus the coffee rub). :)

Why the hell do I even like you and Travis. Still nice bird. Oh, I remember now; you both married so far up the social ladder.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options

@Mickey that was a compliment. It should be called Mickeystyle as much as you champion it. Raised direct, spatchcock and 400(ish) degrees. No flip. Just like Mickey's Naked Ham. :)

Rowlett, Texas