Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled Beef (pics)

DMWDMW Posts: 6,262
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
First time for pulled beef. Had some bolar roasts in the freezer that needed to be used, wasn't sure what to do with them. I put them on around 11 today figuring low and slow just like pulled pork. Did some searching around and found this:

I didn't have bacon on it, but figured I'd give it a try without. Right now it's in the DO finishing the last step, but I had to taste some when I pulled it and I'm really looking forward to the final product.

My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
·

Comments

• ShiffShiff Posts: 1,253
    I've used Clay's recipe many times and it always comes out great.  Yours looks great.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,262
    Turned out great, SWMBO likes it and mentioned it was a nice change from pulled pork. Won't be the last time I do this.
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • Looks good! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    ·
  • I tried that recipe a couple weeks ago. Turned out great. Not anywhere as easy to pull as pork but finished product was awesome.
    Albion, PA
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,058
    @HorseMover-don't know the temp you pulled at but take it to around 210*F and it should behave just like pork.  FWIW-YMMV.
    Louisville
    ·
  • lousubcap said:
    @HorseMover-don't know the temp you pulled at but take it to around 210*F and it should behave just like pork.  FWIW-YMMV.
    Exactly, you have to take it higher than pork, even 215 isn't out of the question.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,262
    I waited until 215* to pull, and while it was different than pork to pull, just do to the grain, it wasn't more difficult.
    Morgantown, PA

·
  • HorseMoverHorseMover Posts: 174
    edited September 2013
    I went until 215 but I was running late and didn't let it rest much. Again I loved it...just a lot more work to pull. I plan on trying it again soon as I am trying to clean out the freezer. How long do you guys let it rest and do you do anything special?
    Albion, PA
    ·
  • That looks great! I really want to do pulled beef soon. I've never seen the cut you mentioned and all the Chuck roasts I see in stores around here are small (~2#s). What other cuts should I consider? I've heard tri tip is not great for pulling.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • That looks great! I really want to do pulled beef soon. I've never seen the cut you mentioned and all the Chuck roasts I see in stores around here are small (~2#s). What other cuts should I consider? I've heard tri tip is not great for pulling.

Cheers
    B_Bth
    There's only one cut to use, and that is the chuck roast.  I've tried other cuts  (arm roast, bottom roast) and they arent nearly as good. The problem is, there's many names for it.  What you want is the "beef shoulder".  Ask the butcher where you buy your meat if you're not sure.  As for larger in size, again, ask the meat guy at any butcher shop or grocery store, they'll have them in the back in their full size known as the clod.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Perfect @ChokeOnSmoke, I appreciate the help. I've seen lots of posts on here with folks choking large chucks (7-8#s) but I can never find them. Will consult the butchers directly.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • Perfect @ChokeOnSmoke, I appreciate the help. I've seen lots of posts on here with folks choking large chucks (7-8#s) but I can never find them. Will consult the butchers directly.

Cheers
    B_B
    Good luck with it.  Check this bad boy out for some reference and info:

Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Awesome. I'll have to try that for sure.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • DawnlDawnl Posts: 185
    Bookmarked!
    Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,014
    Looks great!

This is another great recipe to try for pulled beef:

There have been a few variations on the forum. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·