Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Looking for a brisket recipe that is a little "different"

I am having a gathering this weekend with a large number of adults. As much as I would like to serve ribeyes that would be hard on my budget.  I realized I can get a brisket cheap but don't want it to taste like a normal brisket.  Once upon a time I went to a gathering wherein somebody brought a brisket that had been cooked, I believe, wrapped in foil with a half a bottle of merlot and then slow cooked in a large, rectangular appliance akin to a crock pot.  The brisket had the fall apart consistency of pulled pork and tasted more like steak than brisket.  It had a rich taste like a pricey steak.

Cooking on the BGE is, of course, a requirement, but has anyone seen/known of a recipe that would give a brisket a completely different character than the one I get with a normal rub & slow cook?

Thanks.
·

Comments

• You could something like that easy. Buy a flat, cook it at 225* in an open foil pan with any type of liquid in the bottom for flavoring (you decide). When it gets to 160* cover the pan with foil and finish to 205*. It should pull apart and have a unique flavor.
    ·
  • Ahem
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • So is the brisket sitting in the liquid?
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,151
    edited September 2013
    The Travis method, only bad thing is he uses Shiner Bock, which I can't get her in the GWN - I prefer using Merlot (or any other red wine that I screwed up trying to make - hence it became cooking wine) 
    Travis's method is foolproof and the texture has always been good. Braising is the way some Texans and many non-Texans roll. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • berndcrispberndcrisp Posts: 773
    edited September 2013
    Travis' method is go my to for brisket. Half braised, half smoked and is pull or slice perfect!

I used Guinness the last time for a folded over 14# packer in the medium and all the gang could say was "OH MY".
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • Yep, the man himself is here. Go Travis method.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,676

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,343
    You could change things up with the flavor profile, but you may want to stick with what works for cooking a tender moist brisket. Travis method is a good one. Personally I prefer doing the fist part of the cook (to 160 or 170) not in a pan, but as long as you cook it tender and pull it off as soon as it gets tender, your good.

What about a teryaki marinade, and a ginger/pepper rub? Save the marinade and add it back when you wrap your brisket in foil. That will give it a nice unique edge, but still compliment the beef.

Have fun, whatever you do!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • I prepped it similar to travistrick's directions, though I used a half bottle of red wine instead of Shiner. I put it on the egg at midnight at 210 and went to bed. At nine o'clock AM the egg temp was 275 and when I opened the lid it smelled amazing, had an internal temp of 205, and was so tender I had trouble getting it off the grill. It is wrapped in foil in an ice chest waiting for me to make a sacue with the drippings. Thanks to all for the input, I think my dinner guests are going to be blown away.
    ·