Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggless... :(

gooseberry
gooseberry Posts: 20
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum

Hi, y'all! Back in May I attended a function hosted by a local hardware store in which they showed off The Big Green Egg. I had never heard of one before...and I fell in love. Each Egg was cooking something different...chicken, stuffed mushrooms, ribs, pizza, even desserts! It was wonderful, but when I went to price them...I realized it is beyond my means at this time. Life has taken a detour for me and right now I just don't have the funds to invest (and it would be an investment, I know) in an Egg. I saw a similar shaped cooker at the grocery store over the summer for less and came THIS close to getting it...but I'm holding out for a real Egg someday.

So...I was back in the same hardware store today (The Plantation is the name of it) and there is a raffle going on for a large Big Green Egg and table! (They make these tables there...wonderful hard wood things that the Egg fits into and it has cabinets built in, too...) It's for a local policeman who has pancreatic cancer. His partner is hosting the raffle. I bought 3 tickets and even if I don't win, I know the money is going to a great cause.

Even though I'm Eggless right now, I hope you can welcome a new guy (ok...gal) on the block. :)

Someday!!! Someday I'll have one!  :)

For now, I hope you don't mind if I just dream and see what y'all are up to. :)

Big Egg dreamin' in Richmond Hill, Georgia

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome aboard and make yourself at home!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Welcome Gooseberry ! Keep up the dream. Where are you located ?
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Oh, thank you so much, RAC!

I really appreciate the warm welcome. :)

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Glad to have you join us. Best of luck on the ticket
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Oh! I was posting at the same time, Fireman Joe and didn't see you.

Thank you for your kind welcome as well. :)

I live in a small town just outside of Savannah, Georgia.

• Thank you, Mickey!  :)

• Welcome, and good luck.  Do you know about Eggtoberfest?  Link below.  Please note they sell "demo" eggs after the event, which are the eggs used that day but sold by mfr with full warranty.

Demo egg pricing is $750 with following items:

DEMO EGGs

EGG demo packages are available for purchase for $750 (including tax). These EGGs have been used only at EGGtoberfest. Demo EGG Packages DO NOT include EGGtoberfest Tickets. EGGtoberfest Tickets must be purchased separately. You do not need an EGGtoberfest Ticket if you are only picking up a Demo EGG.

EACH DEMO PACKAGE includes a Large Big Green Egg, EGG Nest, Plate Setter, Grill Gripper, Ash Tool, 1 Box of Fire Starters and a 10 lb. bag of Organic Lump Charcoal

EGG packages must be picked up on Saturday, October 12, 2013 between 5:30pm and 8:00pm. You cannot take your EGG before that time. You MUST go through the pick-up line to receive your EGG. You must bring receipt & identification for pick-up purposes. Remember, there will be a long line to pick up EGGs, so please be patient.

Here is link to Eggtoberfest event (or get to it through biggreenegg.com site), you should go even if you are not buying an Egg--largest gathering of cooks---something like 300 cooks coming.

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?  llr=w8zrcxcab&oeidk=a07e7yfujw1efb61981

• Georgia is the home state of the Mothership or also known as the headquarters for Big Green Egg, October 12 th is the Eggtoberfest at Stone Mountain Park which is huge compared to the one you went to.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Well...$750 is still a bit much for this gooseberry at the moment. As I said, life has taken a detour and I'm just not in the best financial place to invest that much. I'm not in one penny debt and I work hard to keep it that way. I can't make it up to Stone Mountain anyway this year...I've recently had foot surgery and that is a bit of a drive on my own...and it would just make me want one more! hee hee! Someday...but the time will have to be right. I'm a patient berry, though...it will happen, but it will be at a time I won't feel guilty about spending that much money at once. Better days are on the horizon for me...and someday, a Big Green Egg will be mine. Thank you for the information, though...and yes, I do remember reading about Georgia being Headquarters (I think it was around Atlanta, though. I'm in Savannah.)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Troll around on Craigslist. You can often see a large in the $400 neighborhood.
  • @gb--certianly understand life being in the way of things.  Good luck, just wanted to make sure you knew about Octoberfest since it is only an annual deal adn almost here.  There are other eggfests throughout the year, so maybe one will be closer to you.  Most all have a demo deal package the day of the fest.  So, just check the eggfest list on the BGE page.
  • Thank you SO much, SmokinTiger81 for your kind help. I really, really appreciate it. I'd love to go sometime...and who knows? Maybe next year I will be in a better place physically AND financially. I'd love to go (and also, just to go to Stone Mountain. I bet is beautiful up there this time of year.) Your help was so generous and made me feel most welcome. Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Eggcelsior...but would an Egg off of Craigslist still have the Lifetime warranty and all that? I thought I read where they wouldn't...? I thought one had to buy it from an authorized dealer to have that warranty...am I mistaken?

• where in savannah are you located?
    I am in Richmond Hill
         bob
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Welcome!

I waited 3 -4 years before buying an egg. I scrimped and saved during that time, and learned about bbq. When I finally got my egg, it felt terrific, and I actually knew how to use it to cook a few things. So when you do get it, you'll enjoy even more than you anticipate!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Plantation Lumber i am assuming where she is talking of? Dallas is a good guy and sold my egg to me. Very knowledgable and patient with me (im OCD) ..

Welcome aboard. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome... Hope it happens soon. I found a kamado on cl for $100. Not an egg but cooks well. If you were closer I'd give it to you. Good luck.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Best of luck with the drawing, and welcome to the madness!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • The wait will be worth it. In the mean time enjoy the food,fun and frivolity from a great group of people.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Just think of how knowledgable you will be when you finally get the Egg. Be sure to bookmark or copy your favorite recipes and tips. Welcome.
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Good luck and I hope you win! Positive thoughts going your way. :)
  • gooseberry
    edited September 2013

Thank you, everyone! Yes, I meant Plantation Lumber & Hardware (that, apparently, is the official name...it's on the receipt.;)

Howdy, neighbor! (to @rml2112) :)

Well...I have 3 chances to win The Egg...but again, if I don't, at least I made a contribution to someone who really needs the help. The girl who sold me the tickets at the store said that her father is this policeman's partner on the force. I told her I'd be praying for him (his name is Dana, by the way, if anyone else wants to offer prayers or best thoughts...) and that's the best thing I can do.

Thank you for all the good luck wishes! I do hope I win, too...and maybe I will. :) If not, then I will do as others have advised and learn about it, read about it and just enjoy being here with all you guys. :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome! I can't even tell you have much all your kind words mean to my heart. Thank you!      

• I live in Beaufort Sc but drive to Richmond hill for my bge stuff because Dallas is pretty awesome. Good luck winning the raffle and will be praying for the police officer. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • I'm from just outside Savannah too.. See if you can guess from my screen name :) hope you get lucky and win the raffle!
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • gooseberry
    edited September 2013

I LOVE Tybee!!! That's just one of my favorite places in the world...hello, neighbor!

p.s...@plumbfir01 you're a neighbor, too. The folks there at Plantation Lumber are very nice and are always helpful and kind whenever I wander in there. :)

• Welcome aboard...hope you land an egg soon. While your waiting relax, enjoy and learn. I haven't been around for long but amazed at all the awesome cooks on here that I hope to try some day.
    Albion, PA
  • Good luck and welcome.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Took me a year and a tree falling on grill I owned (and money from insurance) until I got my egg. In meantime enjoy forum, learn a lot, and when time comes you'll be ready to go!
    Boom
  • Good luck on the drawing and welcome to the club.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I had the money saved twice. In loose change. And twice life happened. I'm lucky that I have a great mother who bought me my egg, otherwise I'd still be counting quarters. Again. You'll get yours-- and you'll love it.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Thank you, everyone, for the kind words and welcome.

Also, thank you for the encouragement. It may take a while, but I will lay an Egg one day! ha! I appreciate your kindness and I'm very happy to have finally ventured in after tiptoeing (Eggless) around in the shadows for 5 months.