Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alder chips?

I love Alder but I've noticed that all the normal purveyors (Ace, big box home improvement places) are no longer carrying it. I've found some outrageously priced Alder planks at my local BGE retailer. Anyone else out there experiencing a shortage of Alder? 
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Are you located in a place that gets legitimate winter?  The ACE and big-box joints might treat the smoking wood as seasonal, if so.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    edited September 2013
    Legitimate? Well, I'm in GA, just north of Atlanta so nah, winter is more of a state of mind than a real season. I've noticed the Alder supplies drying up over the summer. I've used up all mine and now I'm left "alderless".
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Try ordering from smokinlicious. Awesome wood!

http://www.smokinlicious.com/index.php?Refill%20Boxes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks for the link, Little Steven. I may just have to give them a rip.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I did notice that the big-box stores quit carrying it the last couple years, but I'm talking boards, not chips/chunks; they may be related.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• have you tried any sporting goods stores?  I have found some at the larger ones in Colorado.  Try Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops.
  • Timely you should chime in, dbanker. I eventually found alder at two of my big box retailers. Snapped up the last two bags. Haven't tried a sporting goods store. We have Academy Sports nearby which carries Kamado Joe grills..could be a play..
  • On the subject of wood, I found Cedar, Oak and Mesquite planks at our local Kroger for $5.99/2 planks. That was new for me as it's always been $6.99 and only Cedar. Not sure if this is all locations...
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Legitimate? Well, I'm in GA, just north of Atlanta so nah, winter is more of a state of mind than a real season. I've noticed the Alder supplies drying up over the summer. I've used up all mine and now I'm left "alderless".
    Still think winter is a state of mind?
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2015
    warwoman said:
    Still think winter is a state of mind?
    Two years ago when this was posted it was probably a state of mind. After last years ice storm and this cold burst maybe different. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Occasional ice storms aside, winter here is nothing like the Northeast and I still stand by my "state of mind" comment. I've been commuting back and forth to NJ and NY lately. Makes me hate snow even more.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    A quick google search will lead you to some factory second alder planks that are less than $1 each.