Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adj Rig vs Swing Rack..

I know this may be played out but im looking for specific help.  

The Adj Rig looks like its very versatile and may be the way but swing tier rack looks sweet also. 
The Adj Rig seems a bit complicated to me however so thats why i need feedback. 

I have a LBGE and cook on it daily (when im not at firehouse) but do butts once a week and now that nfl season is back, will be cooking more butts.
I cooked 2-9lb butts the other day and it appeared that a third would not fit without touching. I was trying to keep some space between them. I am wondering with the two racks in discussion, which is a better overall application for the butts. I dont need it for much else but the occasional veggies and meat combo. The drip pan would be nice as im still trying to find a good fit for the butt drippings to be caught.

Honestly, the first choice is to get an XL but it seems a bit overkill for just more butts. 

Any help would be greatly appriciated before i decide. 
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• I used to have a large with an AR and loved it! I had the oval racks & stone and you can fit a lot on them. I did 4 at one time no problem and could have done more. I have an XL with an AR nowadays. I love it!

That being said, I have a small with a swing rack and I can imagine a large with a swing rack can handle a lot of butts too.

I do not envy your choice, my friend. But whatever way you go, you will get a quality American made product and you will enjoy it too!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have this on both my Larges and never looked back. So much you can do with it down the road that you can't think of now. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• When I first got my large, I just bought another grid and some 5" SS bolts $20 - $25 and made legs for the grid and used it as my two tier setup.  It worked fine for what I was doing.  I used wing bolts so I could adjust the grind up down a little . If I wanted something cooked high in the dome just extend the grid up as high as the bolts allowed. Worked great and I was cooking 4 butts at a time without any problems. Then I got an adjustable rig for Christmas.  I have found that I use the adjustable rig most of the time now.  You just have to ask yourself if the price for an adjustable rig is worth about double the cost compared to a grid and some nuts and bolts?  I honestly think if I had not gotten one for Christmas, I would still be using the grid with the nuts and bolts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have the grid extender to give me swing rack functionality, and I also have the adj rib r&b. I use the rig a lot more. The only time I really use the swing rack is when I'm going basic cooks like burgers. I'll put them on the bottom and put some veggies up up. The rig is very versatile. 
    Dunedin, FL
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    I have an AR in my XL that's the way i would go....
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    I have both and the AR stays in my large all the time.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    IMHO the ar is the most adjustable thing out.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I can't speak for the swing rack, but the adjustable rig almost never leaves my large. It changed the way I use my large as almost all my regular cooks are now raised direct. I have both the oval stone and sliding grids and a 16 inch stone and drip pan. Love them both.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035

I've not used my two-tier system yet, but I think I am going to love it vs my old homemade grill with carriage bolt legs.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I had a CGW swing grate, notice I said had.  I didn't care for it as I never seemed to be able to keep it seasoned to prevent rust.  Never noticed any warping, but I only cooked high temp with it a couple times and didn't like the thick unsightly grill marks it left.  I know a lot of people love them, I am just not one of them.  I'm not trying to bash the product, I'm just giving my honest review.

As for the AR, I have a couple and love them.  Tom at CGS makes great stuff and I think I own at least one of everything.  I'm 100% sold on stainless steel!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I have both. I liked the swing rack except for a few things:

relatively heavy and awkward to store/remove
    after awhile, the top rack was not level and I could not figure out how to fix it
    I screwed up and left it in the egg for a clean burn and it warped severely such that I don't/can't use it

I love the AR. Very versatile. It is somewhat difficult to figure out the right pieces because there are so many options but that is fine. Also, it is somewhat expensive but it is very well built. It is easy to remove from the Egg. Since getting the AR, I am no longer surfing for alternatives.
  • Had the CGW two-tier swing rack for awhile and love it......easy to use, love the carbon steel and don't have one bad thing to say about it.  I probably do about 80-90% of my cooks on it, both high heat and low and slow, and have zero complaints.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• You guys are going to make me spend more money. Packages keep showing up...luckily I am shipping them to work address now.
    Albion, PA
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I have the swing rack and love it. It stays in my grill for all cooks. No rust on it. I like the slightly grill marks. I have one from when they first came out, no issues with mine.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2013
    Haven't done a high heat on my CGW swing grate, but with the exception of pizzas, I never take it out of the BGE. Love it. Would be very disappointed if it were to get warped...

Use it with my spider all the time btw.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I had 2 8.5 lb butts on and now am considering a multilevel system I need to find something for my mom to get my wife and myself for Christmas or she'll get us a Browns mailbox. The advantage to the swing rack seems to be that it works with the platesetter.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Get the AR and Spider and don't look back!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    thanks to all for taking the time to help answer questions regarding ceramic grill store products, including the adj. rig and sliding grid set-ups.  It always best for folks to hear from actual users.  Also helps us here at Ceramic Grill Store as we do listen and read, always looking for a way to improve. 

Again, thanks for helping out........

Tom     
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Wow, i ordered the adj rig "package" this am and you guys already shipped it today. Thanks for prompt shipping and thanks to all for the feedback and help
    Beaufort, SC
  • I easily see one of these setups in my future.....  
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA