Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump are you using?

I've had my XL egg for about 1 month and so far have used 3 bags of lump. I've tried a different bag each time (BGE, then Royal Oak, now Charbone De Bois) as it's all about trying new stuff. It does seem like I'm going through a lot of lump though. I've done a couple of longer cooks (6 hours) and probably 10-12 regular cooks (<2 hours) and will need more lump soon. Does this sound right?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Do you do like I do and toss all the old lump out before the new cook?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That was a joke.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I also have an XL and just over a month in.  I'm on 3rd bag of BGE with very similar number of cooks.  Unless we are both off, guessing it is normal.  I haven't tried any other lump than BGE.

Tomball, Texas

• Re-use the old lump?? Great I've got piles of it in the garden, I'm good for another month ;).
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Sounds high to me.  How many of the cooks were high heat? Pizza and searing use up a lot coals.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Bonar
    Bonar Posts: 28
    Wow bunch of lump with XL, no where near that with my large. However, picked up a small for smaller cooks and way down on consumption of lump. Cooked a whole chicken with a couple of handfuls on small and closed off vents, yet found some lumps to reuse for next cook after fire snuffed out.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That sounds high to me but you are prolly cookin more than me. I bought 4-20lb bags of Rockwood on 8/20 and have used about 30lbs. That is cooking at least 3 times a week on either the large or small, temp ranges around 400 with the egg running an average of 2-3hrs each

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use between 10 and 15 pounds per week, cooking every night on at least one XL and on both XLs at least 2 nights per week.  If I'm doing a lot of pizzas, it can burn a lot fast.  I can do a 24 hour low and slow with less than 5 pounds used (light only one spot in the middle).  In addition, you can reduce the usage on the XL by only lighting under the area you are cooking on (if I'm cooking one steak or a couple of burgers, I don't need charcoal lit across the whole firebox).  There are all sorts of ways to reduce lump usage on the XL - lump reducers, confining the lighted areas by lighting in fewer spots, filling to the top of the fire ring to do sears, etc.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2013
    I also have an XL and just over a month in.  I'm on 3rd bag of BGE with very similar number of cooks.  Unless we are both off, guessing it is normal.  I haven't tried any other lump than BGE.
    If I fill the XL to the fire ring, I get three cooks or more without adding coals.  I generally do not fill it so that I don't burn charcoal unnecessarily.  Most cooks I add 1 chimney full of coals to what is there, which is typical 1 layer deep leftovers.  I add more coals for a low and slow to be safe, but it does not burn through all of it.  Occasionally I need to add 2 chimneys.

I find that only need to go about 10 - 15 minutes of warm up before I start cooking.  People that wait 30 - 45 minutes to cook, that is a lot of extra coals.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ragtop99 said:
    I also have an XL and just over a month in.  I'm on 3rd bag of BGE with very similar number of cooks.  Unless we are both off, guessing it is normal.  I haven't tried any other lump than BGE.
    If I fill the XL to the fire ring, I get three cooks or more without adding coals.  I generally do not fill it so that I don't burn charcoal unnecessarily.  Most cooks I add 1 chimney full of coals to what is there, which is typical 1 layer deep leftovers.  I add more coals for a low and slow to be safe, but it does not burn through all of it.  Occasionally I need to add 2 chimneys.

I find that only need to go about 10 - 15 minutes of warm up before I start cooking.  People that wait 30 - 45 minutes to cook, that is a lot of extra coals.
    Thanks.  Guess I have a bad habit of always filling to the fire ring before firing.  I do alot of high cooks, sear and pizza...probably 3 times a week; which I know burns more lump.  Most of the time I'm also cooking 10-15 mins after lighting, seldom wait the 30 unless there is alot of smoke for some reason.  Thanks for the input.

Tomball, Texas