Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Paella score...finally

henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
After the last few cooks I was getting ready to craigslist the egg...but not after tonight.

Clean burn this weekend

Great Oliva while cooking

My redneck simmer plate

Sautéed veggies and garlic
 imageimage

Went with scallops, shrimp and mussels...not a lot

The Bomba rice was spectacular. I'm not a big rice person but could eat this anytime. This will definitely be a regular cook. Looking forward to trying different combinations. One thing I really enjoyed was the "cooking". There's smoking, grilling, but to me this was cooking. Over my second year of egging I'm going to try to tackle things like baking, paella, woking,etc..image
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,249
    Good work looks great
    ·
  • I totally agree. Something about the whole cook that's satisfying about paella. The prep, the cooking, the whole deal. Looks awesome BTW.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,381
    Great looking cook; and the stick ain't bad neither ;)
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,124
    Damn, that looks good Tony!! Great freaking job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,583
    Looks good from here!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Very nice cook. If you are a pasta fan try your hand at fideo cook on the paella pan. Lots of recipes on the net...
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • txav8rtxav8r Posts: 153
    Your killing me!  That just looks great!  I got to get a little eggsperience under my belt before I venture out into complete meals like this.  It looks really great.  I can see a whole day around the egg with several different liquid libations and a Bauza (Arturo Fuente cigar made exclusively for MikesCigars.com) or two as well.  They sent me an Olivia bonus cigar and thought it was a good cigar too.  Glad you didn't list the egg, I am counting on you to share the recipe!
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,755
    Sweet! Looks tasty. Maybe I should pull out my pan and give it a second shot.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    edited September 2013
    @txav8r... Man, I forgot to share the recipe. One of my pet peeves. It wasn't as tough as I was imagining but it has a few quick transitions. It's not a set it/forget it type of cook. My trial run yesterday really helped. The site will walk you through it.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm

Thanks for the comments. It wasn't very pretty but next time I'll dress it up a little. One thing I do agree with the whiz on is that the rice is the star. You can add too much if you're not careful.

If @cazzy would hurry up and move here my pics would get better.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,019
    Didn't have any idea you could cook. Very nice
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,813
    That looks awesome.  That has been on my list for a while but I still need to get a pan.  Where did you score yours? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,893
    @henapple-congrats on the paella cook.  Looks great.  And you are right, it's a fun "cook" as long as you have everything ready to go.  Not a lot of idle minutes during the actual cook time.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Looks awesome.  And an Oliva V is one of my favorite smokes.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." 
    -Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·

That looks awesome.  That has been on my list for a while but I still need to get a pan.  Where did you score yours? 

My neighbor let me borrow his but I found the same one at World Market.. $23 for a 14". Dillards had one for $220.. Found a small one in Cincinnati but after seeing how we devoured last night's.... It'll be good for one or maybe two. It calls for a raised grid but with the large i could only put brick pieces under it. Still, it worked.
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,435

Check out Amazon for your paella pan.  They have every size and reasonable prices.  I have a 14" and an 18"  I can serve 6 oiut of the 14" and about 10 with the 18, though you need an XL egg for anything bigger than 14"
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
    Mickey said:

Didn't have any idea you could cook. Very nice

Sorry

Yo quote Bill Murray... "oh, I'm versatile". What movie for 5 pts.?
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,424
    edited September 2013
    Looks awesome henapple.  That is one of few things I haven't tried since owning my eggs.  Assuming you're cooking on a large, what size/brand of paella pan are you using?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
    14" setting on bricks... Cheap one from World Market. The bomba rice is expensive but worth IMHO.
    ·
  • Cookinbob said:

Check out Amazon for your paella pan.  They have every size and reasonable prices.  I have a 14" and an 18"  I can serve 6 oiut of the 14" and about 10 with the 18, though you need an XL egg for anything bigger than 14"
    Following up on this, I scored a great pan from http://www.paellapans.com. ; Reasonable and quick delivery. 
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 994
    Beautiful looking cook  How long did it take to prep and cook?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
    Probably around a hour.. Maybe a little more.
    ·
  • BOWHUNR said:
    Looks awesome henapple.  That is one of few things I haven't tried since owning my eggs.  Assuming you're cooking on a large, what size/brand of paella pan are you using?

Mike

Mike,

Google Typhoon. They do pans with upturned handles. I have a 15" that fits the large.

Sorry about the pic quality

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 467
    Looks great, on the to-do list
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • Looks great! I agree with you re: the Bomba rice. There is no comparison. Here's a seaffod paella I did a couple of weeks ago with shrimp, mussels and clams.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.