Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turbo vs low n slow...time question

Options

I am bringing pulled pork to a party tomorrow at 5pm.  I cant decide if I should try turbo or start it tonight on low n slow.  It is a 9 pounder.  If I were to start at 8am in the morning doing it turbo style, how long will 9 pounds take at 300?  Will it be done by 3 to ftc?  That would be 7 hours.  Or, do I need to bring the temp up a little more?  Im leary of going over 300 to cook but I am also not sure I want a sleepless low n slow night tonight.  Thank you!

Comments

• lilwooty
    Options
    My experiences with turbo butts has been averaging a cooking time of about one hour per pound to get the meat internal temp at 200 degrees.  That is with a 350 degree dome temp.

Living Large and XL

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    ·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours  to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! (Foil not required)
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• busmania
    Options
    So are you saying a 9 pounder is too big to turbo?
  • Mickey
    Options
    busmania said:
    So are you saying a 9 pounder is too big to turbo?

NO SIR..... Just takes a fraction longer. Mine was a 7 lb. And even same size butts cook at different times, so.............
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mickey said:
    ·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours  to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! (Foil not required)
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. 
    FTIC?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options
    Little Steven   FTIC-? I googled it and got "first time in college" or "f*** this I'm crying"

• busmania
    Options
    I LOVE smoke flavor.  In fact, I would naw on an oak tree if I could...Anyway, does the turbo style take away any of the smokeyness?
  • Mickey
    Options
    busmania said:
    I LOVE smoke flavor.  In fact, I would naw on an oak tree if I could...Anyway, does the turbo style take away any of the smokeyness?
    NO

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    can you start it earlier, ive lit the egg the night before, stabilized it, went to bed to wake up at 4 am, put the butt on and gone back to bed or gone fishing just to time things better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I did two 9 pounders turbo earlier this month.  I put them on at 300 deg (grate, not dome) around 7:30 in the morning.  Did not foil (though i should have)  Pulled about 12:30, FTC and did not serve until 6 that night as I had to transport them 200 miles before dinner - they had cooled a bit.  I find I have plenty of smoke flavor and great bark with Turbo, not sure I will bother with low and slow again.

Bottom line, I would say 4-5 hours should do it, a bit less if you foil when you hit the stall.  If I wanted to serve at 5, I would put on the grill at 10:30 AM so I had a couple of hours for FTC rest.  Good luck!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Little Steven   FTIC-? I googled it and got "first time in college" or "f*** this I'm crying"
    Foil, towels, ice chest

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• busmania
    Options
    can you start it earlier, ive lit the egg the night before, stabilized it, went to bed to wake up at 4 am, put the butt on and gone back to bed or gone fishing just to time things better

Well, my first baby isn't due for another 3 weeks so im trying to avoid getting up at 4am while I can!

What if I did 250-275 degrees? 

I  basically have 7 hours to cook + 2 hours ftc + 9lbs of meat+ 8am start time - 5pm eat time.  Trying to find the perfect formula!

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Foil, towels, ice chest
    oh,,,,,,,,
    ^:)^

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    busmania said:

Well, my first baby isn't due for another 3 weeks so im trying to avoid getting up at 4am while I can!

What if I did 250-275 degrees? 

I  basically have 7 hours to cook + 2 hours ftc + 9lbs of meat+ 8am start time - 5pm eat time.  Trying to find the perfect formula!

It's a butt and there isn't a perfect formula. Just approximates. Congratulation on your first. Last year I cooked 48 butts during my grandson's football season and I tried to find the perfect formula but the butts dictated when they were done. It's easier to start early than to try to hurry them up. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !