Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Legs - in brine now, but how should I grill them?

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Great sale at whole foods for Turkey Legs, so I grabbed some.  My wife is going to sh*t her shorts when she sees the size of them!  I started a brine this morning (salt/brown-sugar/white-sugar/bay-leaf/seasoning/worcestershire) and should be cool by lunch, so they should have a good 6 hrs in the brine tub.  

Never done them before, so wondering if you guys recommend a raised direct or a low-and-slow to soak up more smoke flavor?   

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• NDG
    yea lots of options - PICTURES TO COME LATER TONIGHT, but unless someone objects, think i am going with:
    • dizzy pig coffee rub 
    • low and slow 250º smoke with pecan
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Sounds good. If you ever happen to come across thighs (much less common in my experience) they turn out even better than the legs.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2013
    400 Raised Direct.... very easy cook. I like to use coffee rub or Butt Rub.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NDG
    whole foods had the thighs as well, so I will have to grab them next time!  

I am starting to realize that a low-and-slow cook at 250 will take 4-6 hours for these legs to reach internal temp of 170F . . Grrrrrrrrrrr.  I might go higher temp around 350 indirect to cut down the cooking time to 2-3 hours - hope it works out.  
    Columbus, OH

• Mickey

The legs (cooked to 180) above was an hour cook. I do a whole 12lb spatchcocked turkey in 1.5 hours cooking the same way.

• Mickey
    Make your own coffee rub (easy):  
    Coffee Rub         (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee

Equal part: Brown Sugar

½ part: Black Pepper

½ part: Kosher Salt

½ part: Garlic Powder

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from  MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup  Instant Expresso Ground coffee  and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. 

• I like doing Turkey at about 375 indierect for a quicker cook. Since turkey dries out easily. With a brine the moisture and flavor should be great.
  • NDG
    flavor WAS great but not sure this will be a repeat meal for us - here are pics.  I pulled them at 170, but the range in texture of dark meat from bite to bite, along with the many bones/tendons was kinda a pain.  Only cost me $4 for both drums - so I guess I have to keep that in perspective, but starting to think I am more of a chicken guy!
    Columbus, OH

• Mickey
    They are real good to pull meat and use in pot of pinto beans.

• NDG
    Now that sounds good!  I am all for smoked turkey - but thinking this is the last time I grill up a huge drumstick and eat it like a caveman.

Not egg related, but this is one of my all time favorite turkey dishes - uses full turkey breast and makes one amazing sandwich!
    Columbus, OH

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The coffee rub us freaking awesome on steaks. As far as the legs.. Pull and make smoked turkey salad. I prefer caveman style.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN