Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Base

Options
Did a clean out all the way to removing the fire rings, for the first time in a long time.  Found a crack in the base of the XL, and it goes all the way through.  Going to contact the Mother Ship.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Good luck, I'm sure it will be covered - however sometimes not knowing is best, that'll teach you to clean it out!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Every time I consider an used egg... Things like this cross my mind. I'm sure they'll take care of it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    That sucks Doc, but you may end up with a cool planter out of the deal.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• henapple
    Options
    We're you using a hique?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    They don't make them for XLs, and I have not seen the need.  The stock grate on an XL passes a lot of air.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Terrebandit
    Options
    I wonder if the super high temps and time it takes to do a "burn out" contribute to these problems?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • henapple
    Options
    Just wondering if the added heat in the bottom contributed to the problem... Didn't say you needed one.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    henapple said:
    Just wondering if the added heat in the bottom contributed to the problem... Didn't say you needed one.
    I wasn't being snide, just commenting that they don't seem to be needed with the XL.  The number of holes seems to work better than the stock grates for the smaller sizes.

• henapple
    Options
    Just kidding Doc. I recently got one and have noticed more hot embers in the bottom. Wondered if that way have played a role.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I guess if the holes let more air in, they could also allow more embers out.  I do notice the ash pit is lit up bright.  Might be a good case for allowing some ash to remain as insulation.

• henapple
    Options
    Since I have been using the q that the little pieces pile up and burn in the bottom. Guess it doesn't cause any problems... Lots of people use them. Sorry about the base.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Picking up a replacement base under warranty on Saturday.

Sweet. What are you doing with the cracked one? Riding it out until it fully goes? Planter? Using it as a launch pad for mini NASA rockets?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Picking up a replacement base under warranty on Saturday.
    Sweet. What are you doing with the cracked one? Riding it out until it fully goes? Planter? Using it as a launch pad for mini NASA rockets?
    The dear says that they are supposed to get the distressed part.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Looks like we have twins Doc.  I already have my replacement, just haven't taken the time to switch it out.  It still works fine it just leaks a bit of liquid when I do multiple pork butts.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Anyone have experience with replacing the base?  Leave the band on the dome or not, remove the hinge springs, so on and so forth.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I used zip ties to hold the band together, I took the springs off using pliers for a good grip on it. Then I simply loosened the band on the base. Took the dome off with the band assembly attached to it, then swapped it out and did the order in reverse
    Thanks, that sounds like a plan.