Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brats and Tots

With all the talk about spatchcock chickens this week, I really wanted to do one last night. I got home from work and sat down to take my boots off and somehow ended up taking a nap. Must have been more tired than I thought. When I got up, I raced to the store and grabbed a chicken, but it was still partially frozen, so I opted for doing some brats instead. Quick and fast, perfect for somebody who accidentally took a nap and was still at the grocery store at 5:30.

I'm having a mind fart right now and can't think of who always talks about lighting the mini from the bottom, but decided to give it a go last night to see what I thought. I rolled up a piece of paper towel (the half sheet kind) and soaked it in a bit of canola oil and slid it in the bottom and gave it a light. Seemed to take a bit longer to get going, but I ended up with a more uniformly lit bed of coals. I was using all brand new charcoal, so that might have played into it. Gonna try it a few more times to see what I thought.

Anway, grilled them up at about 400, then grilled some buns. Topped with sauerkraut and some spicy brown mustard. Nothing fancy or new, but simple and tasty regardless. And of course I had to have some tots to go with them.

imageimageimage

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

Comments