Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butt stix

Ok I had a crazy thought at work today.

Everybody who does Butts on the egg loves the bark.

How can I get more bark on my butts.

then I thought why don't you just cut down the butts into "strips". I thought about this for a while, trying to think the process through to its completion.

So this my plan:

Cut the butt into about 2" square strips. Skewer it, (cause everything tastes better on a skewer) and proceed as normal for cooking temps and set up.

Of course it wont take as long to come to temp, hence this I think is my only possible issue, is that it wont have time to "get tender" like a normal pulled pork. I figure if it doesn't work, it will be like a porkchop on a stick with extra bark. Not such a bad thing.

All I can imagine is sliding it off the skewer while squeezing a hot dog bun and toping it with slaw. Saturday wont come fast enough for me.

Anyone else have this crazy idea? I cant imagine I am the only one to think like this.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

·

Comments

• RACRAC Posts: 1,436

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • If it was me, I'd reduce my cooking temp in order to give it that extra time to get tender. I love this idea, can't wait to see what happens.
    Large BGE. It's only the beginning...
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,417
    Isn't the breakdown of collegan what makes the butts so good? Spelling check.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Post pics when you finish, please... :D
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
  • bo_mullbo_mull Posts: 332

In my neck of the woods, they sell country style ribs. Its just a butt cut into strips. i have a friend that cooks them instead of a whole butt. it takes less time and is just as good.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    Wrap them in bacon when just about finished to take it too the next level. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    I agree with @bo_mull ; Wouldn't that be country style ribs?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,218
    edited September 2013

Country ribs up here are like this.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

·
    Country-Style Ribs   You may be surprised to know that Country-style Ribs are not cut from the rib cage but from the front end of where the Baby Back Ribs are near the shoulder blade.  They are the meatiest variety of ribs and are perfect for those who prefer to use a knife and fork rather than eating with their hands.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,116
    this is a different take on pork butt, but say you were to braise them, then sauce and make pork burnt ends similar to this but with a bbq sauce

http://biggreenegg.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1147434/braised-pork-butt#latest
    ·
    edited September 2013

;;)

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

·

FAILURE.

Had the egg at 300 and put them in. Checked after one hour and they were at 165 ish +-. Flipped them.

Let them go for a little bit more. Got some at 200 ish and some went up to about 215. Seemed tender but not like a whole butt. Pulled them out. let rest for 10 minutes. They were tough. Some were ok but most of the 12 stix I did didn't make the cut.

Don't know if Ill try this again.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,417
    Take the meat... Food processor... Warm in apple juice or some sort of broth, maybe bbq sauce... Serve on bread of choice with cole slaw topper.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 454
    @hondabbq , I'm guessing that with considerably more surface area, the juices ran away (dripped off) causing premature temp rise and maybe the collagen was not completely broken down. I would think that if you sliced it up as you did but put it back together and wrap it all up as one piece in foil then cook like normal for a butt and at the end, apply rub to I all sides and do a quick high heat sear.
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
    ·
  • Perhaps a lower temp and in a foiled pan would help, uncovered at first to get some smoke, then covered until completely done.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·