Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Size Egg Should I Buy?

2»

Comments

• I have a Large, Medium and small. The Large is far and away the most versatile but the Medium gets used the most. Family of 4.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • It doesn't matter which size your first egg will be. You will get the rest.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • I have an xl and med. i have never heard of a single person wishing they had a lg instead of an xl.

I have a family of two and a one year old. I couldn't do half my stuff in a lg.

The xl is called the "no regrets" model for a reason.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I have an XL for the 2 of us most times, but it is really nice when the kids come over with the grandchildren or for larger adult parties.  If just cooking for the wife and I, we usually put a couple of extra portions on for lunches the next few days.  It always seems to work out fine.  I don't recall anyone that bought a bigger Egg to say "I wish I had bought the smaller one." unless they are referring to a second Egg.  I would suggest the XL if it is in budget.  It is really nice to have a large brisket laid out on the grid without having to resort to draping it over a rack to make it fit without touching the sides.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Here are some pics we took on our XL when we first started cooking on it.  These pics give a reference of how much room is on the XL.  They also show how it can fill up quickly.  The first image is a small butterflied chicken, second is... well I'll let you guess, and the third is a pizza from a local take it home and bake shop.

Yeah it is on the concrete...  We hope to get the egg into its table sooooooon.
  • Buy the XL!
    I cook for my wife and our two young kids. Occasionally we have some guests over. I like the XL because I can have a hot side and a cooler side when grilling. This works well for cooking meats to different temperatures or when something is just cooking faster than everything else. I also like to cook entire meals on the egg, and the XL has enough space to cook everything at once.
  • I have a medium with the swing rack and find it suitable for most cooking situations. With that being said my next purchase is going to be an XL for parties. 
  • I just got a lg. I was able to cook 10lbs leg quarters with room left over. I do want the xl later.
    Clyde Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I would get the Large and then the AR from Tom. This setup will get you through the times you need a little more room. You will be the talk of the hood.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • XL is the way to go
    XL BGE