Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Teak Tables....

Options
SMITTYtheSMOKER
SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum

Another nice addition to the BGE table family here at Eggs by the Bay.  Well made with beautiful wood.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• tomballegg
    Options
    It's a beautiful table, saw it this weekend.  Dealer said they couldn't find pricing or availability for XL?

Tomball, Texas

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    What type of wood is it ?

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    wow - that does look nice.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    GK59 said:
    What type of wood is it ?

wow!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • HorseMover
    Options
    Nice looking table...did you get a price for a large?
    Albion, PA
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Our west coast prices (more then east coast) are the same as the new Mahogany wood tables, $1000 for L $1100 for XL.  Caster kits are $59.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Dnormand25
    Options
    Hi all, I think the table is made from a wood I know as Australian cypress, very beautiful wood. Teak isn't as bold. I have attached two pictures. One shows teak in its unfinished state. It's pretty brown and mellow. The second is the BGE table I built. It has an oil on it with a slight pigmentation. There is another wood that I am aware of sold commercially as African Teak. Its actually Afromosia -Pericopsis elata. It's a more yellow gold and has a ribbon figure to the grain. The pictures I have attached are of genuine teak -Tectona grandis D.P.N.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Hi all, I think the table is made from a wood I know as Australian cypress, very beautiful wood. Teak isn't as bold.
    Okay, I will play along with your theory....BGE is lying.  Why would they lie about it?  It's clearly marked Teak.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Teak is easier to spell?

Little Rock, AR

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Having been in the lumber business for over 30 years, there are many different species and grades of teak. This table looks to have a lot of character, though not the same as quality teak patio furniture from companies like Gloster and such.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Dnormand25
    Options
    I may be wrong,but I have bought a lot of genuine teak. I stated that it LOOKED like what I know as Australian Cypress. I based my assumption on practical experience . Again, perhaps I'm wrong, but I do know that much of the furniture people buy as mahogany is actually luan or Philippine Mahogany. Not a true mahogany. I never said anyone is lying and used the term "I think". So please don't take offense. Heres what I do know. The pictures I attached are of FEQ (First European Quality, it's the lumber grade ,like FAS or #2) teak. No sap, no knots and fairly consistent grain. Of course, my pictures show v-grooved and machine parts,but the smallest width before I machined the rough lumber was at least 6" and that's by grade. The picture of the other "teak" table has approximately 10 or 11 laminations in the top and appear to be about 3" in width with a lot of sap and large knots. Perhaps I should have started my guess by saying that if it is teak, it's a poor quality of teak (and this may very we'll be.), but I think that would have been rude. I have no dog in this fight! In my defense , the only mention in this tread was by Henapple saying it was teak. I apologies if I offended you or the product you sell, that was not my intention. Your first post made no mention to the material, had there been I would have kept my opinion to myself and not posted. I'm now going to take my ball and go home, fire up my egg and cook something - never again mentioning my TEAK table
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I made my table out of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda).

Little Rock, AR

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

No hurt feeling here, just discussing the topic at hand.   The thread title was lableled "teak" as the box it came out of.  So I was puzzeled by why you thought it was something else instead of teak.  It surely is a beautiful table no matter what you call it. IMO

Good luck with tonight's cook.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• THE DRU
    Options
    Dnormand25 is correct that there are many grades of teak. I am in the process of working with a teak furniture company to build tables for eggs and have been educated on the differing grades. I am expecting the first 10 tables later in the year and the price will be close to 1/2 what the mothership is charging.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options
    I agree the table has a bunch of character.  Many woodworkers look for "character" in wood for their projects.  Character however, is pretty much a flaw in terms of the wood grading systems.  I have a bunch of black walnut that is just local that a mill cut up from someones tree.  It is certainly not a furniture grade.  But it can have checks/knots/wormholes/and other fissures filled with epoxy and stabilized.  These are really great qualities to see in a unique piece of furniture, and much of the wood that wouldnt' make the grade in the furniture industry will sell for more because of the character it has.  But it all depends on what you intend for the project, as to what grade of wood you need/want, but also the style your after. 
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.