Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg...

Options
So, how do you guys set up your small eggs? I have seen pics of the swinging rack, but I am concerned with it rusting. There is no adjustable rig for the small... So how is a guy supposed to get two levels of cooking space?
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have been wondering about this too, maybe somebody will chime in soon

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I just bought a used small sunday and got a woo and stone and drip pan. It seems like it would be a stretch to try to cook 2 levels. I have a large egg too so just wanted small for portability and smaller cooks. I LOVE my new setup with the woo though. Cant wait to try her out.

Little Rock, AR

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I just light the large instead f I need more space

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Me too MCN but still like the challenge of cramming the lil guy as full as I can

analyze adapt overcome

• jtippers
    Options
    Me too MCN but still like the challenge of cramming the lil guy as full as I can

+1

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Besides the CGW Swing Rack, you can cut down one of the group buy grid extenders (I hacked off 1 inch) and use a Mini grid for the upper tier and it'll fit on the Woo:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Another option would be a Mini grid with stainless bolts attached.

If what you're cooking isn't too tall and you have a Woo, you can put a grid on top of the fire ring, food, Woo, and another grid.

I've managed to put a shallow drip pan on the Woo, a Mini grid on the Pan, food, Small grid on top of the Woo (look in the center of the CI mini servers to see one underneath): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

Yea I just really don't do much with my small anymore. Wish I'd have got a mini instead @mickey tried to tell me

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    The small is turnin into my go to egg. The large is prolly havin egg envy.

analyze adapt overcome

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Yea I just really don't do much with my small anymore. Wish I'd have got a mini instead @mickey tried to tell me
    MCN - Just curious about why you don't use your small that much.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @fred19flintstone

It doesn't heat up quick or hot enough for somethings. And I guess I really just love my large. I've started cooking more food at a time too instead of just for two, I make bigger portions for instant left overs so I can always take lunch to work. And now our little one eats what ever we eat for supper.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @fred19frinstone

I'd trade it outright for a mini any day... Only problem is that warranty :-??

XLBGE 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    The mini does out perform the small as far as speed and I think it gets hotter. The small has more real estate. I just bought the swing rack for the small & i'm really enjoying it! I have the small heating up right now. It's just Bubba burgers, but I'll post a pic.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    9 Bubbas or the Kroger store brand equivalent with the swing rack. Not bad.

Flint, Michigan
  • revolver1
    Options
    I have a large and mini.  For a meal for Mom and me = Mini.  If I want leftovers for lunches etc. = Large.  Pretty simple.  My family insisted that I get the Large but the Medium would have been plenty IMO.  I was right.  Having a Medium and Mini would have been ideal for my family.  The small seems to have always had problems with higher temps.  Using smaller lump for some has helped.  Bottom line is the bigger the egg = using more lump to get it to temp.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @revolver1 - To me, cooking on my egg is one of life's pleasures. Worrying about lump consumption is like having a hot rod and fretting over gas mileage. You could drive a car with a 4 cylinder engine. Sure you're saving gas, but where's the zip?

Just my 2¢.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jtippers
    Options
    @revolver1 - To me, cooking on my egg is one of life's pleasures. Worrying about lump consumption is like having a hot rod and fretting over gas mileage. You could drive a car with a 4 cylinder engine. Sure you're saving gas, but where's the zip? Just my 2¢.

Preach on brother... +1

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Since getting the hi-que charcoal grate my small will wrap the thermometer. No problem getting it hot and it gets there waaaayyy faster than my large too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    R2Egg2Q,

How did you build this? Or do you have more pics of this setup? I think this may be my solution...
    R2Egg2Q said:

Another option would be a Mini grid with stainless bolts attached.