Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

found Royal oak

Options
I found some RO at walmart last night outside in the garden center.employee said they keep it year round.half the price of OO. I'm just hoping I like it as much.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• Basscat94
    Options
    It's the best I've found at that price point.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Nice they sell it year round. If you have only used Ozark Oak, you might find Royal Oak (also bags Big Green Egg lump) to be smoky, and waiting longer for clear smoke
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I got tired of pulling pieces of insulation out of Royal Oak. I had to order Ozark Oak but it was worth it. Way better lump. I would still use RO in a pinch though. Full Circle is price comparable to RO and in my opinion is just as good if not better.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I seen a few people say "wait for the white smoke to stop then it's ready".OO never really white smoked that much.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    texaswig said:

I seen a few people say "wait for the white smoke to stop then it's ready".OO never really white smoked that much.

With OO you can pretty much toss your food on when hitting your target temp. Still need to wait with RO but still decent lump for it's availability

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Actually found some at HEB the other day, for all you Texans. The price was about the same as WM.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options
    Natural Selection in Carrollton, Tx has OO in 10# for $10.  I don't know if they have bigger bags.  Is that a decent price? 
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Letz4wheel
    Options
    $10 seems to be a good price when anywhere outside Arkansas where it is made. As far as I know 10 lb bags is all they make in OO. It is all I have found anyways.
    Southern Indiana
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited September 2013
    Options
    txav8r said:
    Natural Selection in Carrollton, Tx has OO in 10# for $10.  I don't know if they have bigger bags.  Is that a decent price? 
    I got it at the Grill Shoppe on Belknap in Haltom City for $8.95.  Did get my Egg at Natural Selections though....good deal.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• txav8r
    Options

KennyLee, do you happen to have a pic or two of your cedar table with the granite top?  Where did you get the top done? 

And to any of you, lots of talk about charcoal.  Any good deals on fruitwood chips or other chips for smoke?

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • texaswig
    Options
    Got some Apple wood chunks at Walmart 7bucks.

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • txav8r
    Options
    I guess in the home and garden section?
  • texaswig
    Options
    Yep. :)

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • KennyLee
    Options
    @txav8r Here's a pic of the table.  Granite is just a remnant from a granite yard. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Dirkdaddy
    Options
    Table looks great, good idea to put the bin under it, I for some reason had not thought of that but new to this, need place to store the charcoal. Very functional, and the beer is a great prop for the photo. Also in Texas.
    Vision Classic 9/2013 - Newbie   Pearland TX (Got Humidity?)
  • Basscat94
    Options
    KennyLee said:
    txav8r said:
    I got it at the Grill Shoppe on Belknap in Haltom City for $8.95.  Did get my Egg at Natural Selections though....good deal.

Southlake bbq outfitters has it dollar off per bag if you but three or more so 9 bucks a bag I believe. Great guys run that place