Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think I'm probably DONE with Cowboy Brand Charcoal

Options
2»

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I picked up 5 bags of Cowboy on clearance at HD for $2.97 a bag. I had read the horror stories but the bag I opened this past weekend didn't look too bad. I was amazed at how fast it burned up and the spark compared to Royal Oak.
    Yes, and how much ash it produced and how little was left after the cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    What took you so long????
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Sorry but for all the pics on here and other stories I have heard, I wouldn't use Cowboy if it was free. Royal Oak has always been good for me.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • craigsegg
    Options
    The taste of Cowboy gives is almost toxic! Never again for me....
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    craigsegg said:

I cannot hit the agree button often enough.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• HorseMover
    Options
    craigsegg said:

I have only used it once but did on a low and slow and didn't have that experience at all.  It sparked and burned up fast but no strange tastes or smells????
    Albion, PA
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    Options

Yikes!  I have an unopened bag of Cowboy that I got from Lowes.  After the BGE lump that came with my Egg, I've been using Royal Oak from Wally World with no issues.  I guess when the time comes to use the Cowboy lump, I'll be sure to put the eagle eyes on it as I pour.

• Dirkdaddy
    Options
    I am very very new to lump charcoal and have a pretty new Kamado, cooked twice so far, but on last burn it smelled like rubber burning - I had already fired it up before and doubt it was a "new grill" but perhaps after reading this the new pile of lump I put in for the second grilling had some matter in it. Odd, as I took it out of the bag by hand and would have noticed rope or something. I will have to monitor going forward, I did take a pizza off with some hot pads that have a crappy rubber coating on em, I had figured that was what it was, but it seemed to linger and keep going. Hmm...

BTW, the only lump I have tried is Sam's club mesquite not sure if that is good for general use or not. My local walmart only has tiny little 5lb or maybe 10 lb bags, not sure why. Have to check Lowes / HD.
    Vision Classic 9/2013 - Newbie   Pearland TX (Got Humidity?)
  • revolver1
    Options
    There are "foreign" objects in all lump.  Regardless of brand.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    revolver1 said:
    There are "foreign" objects in all lump.  Regardless of brand.  

Absolutely--it's a natural product, but there are going to be a few things that show up because of the manufacturing process.

Mainly rocks......a char dust covered rock looks a lot like charcoal when it's coming down the bag chute.

Other foreign objects include things that get lodged, nailed, wedged into trees--barb wire, nails, bullets, etc.  The only other thing in the manufacturing process that can show up is metal banding.  This is what binds the slabs together when they're shipped from the timber mill to the charcoal plant and loaded on the kilns.  They'll usually break when the load it coming out and you can usually just pull one long band out at once--but sometimes they break in multiple spots.

Either way, we try to pull as much of this stuff out in the bagging process, but sometimes it gets by.  If you start finding plastic, soda cans, etc and other "garbage" that's another story--that's someone littering or not cleaning up after themselves in the process.

• ringkingpin
    Options
    Foreign objects like rocks are to be expected. Plastic, not so much.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I agree... In a year I've found 2 things in Ozark Oak. When so many people are reporting trash.. That's a problem.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN