Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Size Egg Should I Buy?

Options
I am buying an egg to cook for 2-5 People MAX.  No big cookouts or anything like that but I somethings I would like to cook in the egg are pizzas and briskets.  What size do you guys recommend I should buy?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• tomballegg
    Options
    I cook for 4-6 regularly and couldn't decide between the L and XL.  In the end went with the XL because it was only $200 difference and I'm glad I did.  I cook alot of pizzas and briskets.

Tomball, Texas

• ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    edited September 2013
    Options

I have a large and a medium and it's the perfect combo for me

for 2-5 people max, I'd also argue that a medium might be just the ticket

If you go to the website for ceramic grill store, you'll find tons of cool accessories that give you a lot more surface area for a medium

plus you'll be using a lot less charcoal 
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I cook for my family of 5 on a large it works but wish I had goten a XL 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • jtippers
    Options
    I have a family of five and enjoy both a large and small BGE... but I wish I had gotten the XL and medium. However, I should note... that when it comes to my toys, the grass is always greener on the other side. :D

The large is really sufficient for most cooks at my house, especially if you add an adjustable rig from Ceramic Grill Store. I just ordered my AR today and can't wait for it to come in. With it, I am expecting to be able to grill 6 x racks of ribs laying flat or 4 or 5 x 10lb butts at a time... or maybe a brisket and 2 butts... to many choices!

Good luck in your decision.... my only advice is this:

Any Egg is better than no Egg at all!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Bustersdad
    Options
    I have a large for a family of 4.  It's great most of time...however, there are those occasions I wish I had the extra real estate of the XL.
  • KennyLee
    Options

I have a family of five and have cooked for larger groups of 15 or so on occasion.  For the family, the large is more than enough.  There have been times when cooking for the large groups that the XL would have been nice, but was able to handle it with the large no problem.

For what you describe, the large is plenty for anything you will cook, including the pizzas and brisket you mentioned.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Buy as big as you can afford.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Above advice is good; buy as large as you can afford.

But, keep in mind, one day you will also buy a mini!  

;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bicktrav
    Options
    You're never going to regret having extra room.  
    Southern California
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    I agree with the guys.  A large will work (and you will be happy), but the XL will give you breathing room and come in handy on those larger cooks when you have company.  And by company I mean when the neighbors smell you cooking and come over with a napkin over their shirt and a fork and knife in hand.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Get the large.  A large pizza or big T-Bones for 5 on the medium is tight.  You can always add a smaller egg later if you end up just cooking for 2 most of the time.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    Options

Here in Las Vegas, there is a pretty significant difference in price between the large and XL.  I went with the Large and have had no problems at all cooking for my family of 4. I can easily put a couple of 6-7 lb pork butts on there and feed 8 -10 people no problem.  ( I guess that depends on if you're feeding 8-10 MEN, or a typical family get together with other couples and kids)

• ringkingpin
    Options
    IMO firing up and XL for two people would be silly.  I feel silly enough doing it with a L, that's why I bought a medium to complement my l
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • buddubya
    Options
    I have had a medium for 10 years. It has been awesome. Granted, trying to get 3+ butts or 4+ racks of ribs on it is a little tight but it is doable. I want a Large something bad but have not had the spare money or a justification to buy it. I feel it coming on soon though.

I would go with a Large. It will do all you want to do and maybe even be a little big for just 2-3 people. But, you can always throttle back on how much charcoal you use to conserve.

I have heard multiple accounts of people regretting XLs and downsizing to Larges. If you are just going to have 1 - a Large is the way to go. If you see your egg family expanding in a few years you can always start with a Medium and grow into the pair.

Brookhaven, GA

2012 Large | Mid 90's Medium

• HorseMover
    Options
    I just got a large and it's perfect for me. With the addition of the AR and some accessories I don't see what it won't be able to handle in my case.
    Albion, PA
  • iyacyas
    Options
    We just bought the XL a month ago and went through the same question, but for a family of 3.  We ended up going with the XL and we are so glad that we did.  I'll try to post some pics of some of our cooks so you can see the room you have on the XL.  It's nice to have areas to move your food around.  But if I had the money I too would have gone with a two egg set up, such as a large and a small or medium so that I could cook at two different temps.  A two egg set up is ideal for "sear in the rear" steaks. 
  • pwraudio1
    Options
    I cook for 4 most nights on my large but at times it's just not roomy as I would like so had my wife order me a XL to go with the large. That should be the best set up.
  • luist
    luist Posts: 15
    Options
    XL here even though it's just me and my wife. No regrets at all.
  • AequitasVeritas
    Options

I have a large for my wife and I. I'll generally cook extra food for the week for leftovers with no issue. Keep in mind that you can get multiple levels for the eggs as well.

But, I'm with YEMTrey, get as big as you can afford.

Large BGE. It's only the beginning...
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Start with a large and then add a small or mini later. (once you become addicted like the rest of us)

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you can fit a packer brisket AND a couple butts in a large. for your needs a large and some accessories from the ceramic grill store. would also suggest NOT to get the platesetter and use that money towards an adjustable rig setup and stone from them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I had same situation as some above. What do I buy large or XL. I bought the large. I loved it but I found it hard to do things I wanted to do. I love using CI a lot. I ended up getting an XL too. If I had to do it over the XL would be it. I use it more than my large. Just last night I did brats with grill squash the large would not have fit all the food  I was cooking on one grill surface. Plus with the XL when I am doing direct cooks like the brats I have a place to put them that is not over direct heat. As far as charcoal use I say large and XL are close.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• jtippers
    Options
    you can fit a packer brisket AND a couple butts in a large. for your needs a large and some accessories from the ceramic grill store. would also suggest NOT to get the platesetter and use that money towards an adjustable rig setup and stone from them

Good advice... Wish I had done that.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Orthobear
    Options
    I had the same question (what size to go with) since I figured it would be just me and the lady. We both have big families so I knew I'd need more room on some days. I got the XL and love having the extra space. I'm still experimenting but on small direct cooks I'm only filling half of the fire box and it seems to be doing ok like that.
    Houston, TX
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    If you get the XL, each additional egg will be cheaper and if you need, it will be an easier sell to SWMBO. :))
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Family of three here. Went with the large and it is perfect for us. Also have a second tier (grill extender buy + medium grid) for larger cooks.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have 2 XLs and 90% of the time, I cook for 2.  I cook on one of them every night and both a couple of times per week.  In order to best use my time, I've come up with a routine that allows me to start one or both eggs depending on if I'm doing different temps, prep the food, cook the food, eat the food, and clean up the dishes all in under 2 hours every night.  Since I bought the first egg, we have had more and more people come over for dinner.  Several neighbors every week and parties of 20 or more about once a month.  This weekend we are having a neighborhood appetizer and drinks party and it looks like about 30 people are going to show up.  I'm making ABTs, Armadillo eggs, Sea Turtle eggs, fiery shrimp diablo, and pulled pork sliders.  As soon as your friends and neighbors sample your food, you will be cooking for a lot more people soon.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    Only 2 of here but sometimes cook for 4-6.  Wished I had gotten the XL instead of the large.  An XL will be the next one I buy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • stevesails
    Options
    I have an xl. Buy the biggest you can afford. It lasts forever

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    If you get the XL, each additional egg will be cheaper and if you need, it will be an easier sell to SWMBO. :))
    Actually I find that to be the case.  Especially when it seems easier to find small and mediums on craigslist.  If you have buy-in for the large, get it.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.