Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a dinner idea

I need a good dinner idea for tonight.  Looking about a 2.5 hour total cook/prep time.  I will get home at 4 and want to eat at 6:30/7ish. I iwll light the Egg at 4:00 and it should be ready for food at 4:30.  so 2 hour cook time

What can I make in that time that is good? 

I do not want a spatchcock chicken or any plain chicken for that matter. 

Needs to be low carb. 

Had a marinated steak this past weekend on the stove and turned me way off - I think I can remove the stove/oven from my house now as I HATE cooking on it.

Not in the mood for pork chops either.

I need something with GOOD flavor.

Bring on the ideas.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• I have been diggin smoked pulled pork tacos... smoke some tenderloins

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    i know as soon as i mention it you will take fish off the menu too
    :))  tuna steaks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I love tuna steaks - Wife does not. 

I need two Egg's.  One for my meals and one for hers.  PITA.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Meatloaf is not a bad idea.  How to you make it hold together without bread crumbs and not dry out?

I made it once on the Egg and it tasted like a ashtray.  I just placed the load directly on the grate (indirect).

This will also require me to get out the meat grinder.   Hmm.

Garnerville, NY
  • How about a chicken bomb?
    Flint, Michigan
  • robnybbq said:

Let me guess?  Vegetarian?  I know how cooking for two goes.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Chicken Bombs.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Make a fattie. Jimmy Dean's regular sausage, stuffed w. peppers and sun dried 'maters,  a bit of provolone, and coated w. a mild rub turns out well.

For future reference, find out if there are any good sausage makers in your area. Having a couple of different of varieties of better than mass produced sausage in the freezer makes fast good tasting dinners easy.

• fishlessman
    you could do surf and turf then, reverse sear a steak for the wife and while its resting toss on that tuna steak, make a side of the proscuito wrapped asparagus and hope she doesnt like those either
    :D

:))
    fukahwee maine

• I guess lamb is out of the question too? You could do a boneless leg in that amount of time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    busmania said:
    robnybbq said:

Let me guess?  Vegetarian?  I know how cooking for two goes.
    No just not much that is good.  Talapia/flounder is about it for the fish for her.  Some vegetables.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Never really had lamb or cooked it myself.

And no she will not eat asparagus. ~X(

Would buying normal Italian sausage (sweet or hot) work for a fatty?  Thats all the sell in the supermarkets around here.  I would have to get a bunch and cut them open.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    BTW - fishlessman - What time is dinner?  I am coming over.

Garnerville, NY
  • Since you had a lackluster steak experience on the stove, I say you try to make up for it on the egg tonight. Chimmichuri steak is unbelievably easy and crazy good. Flank steak is a good cut for it. To make the chimmichuri, just throw a handful of each cilantro and flat leaf parsley into a cuisinart along with two cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup olive oil and 1 1/2 tbs. of red wine vinegar. Add generous salt and chop it all together and you're done. Throw it in your steak. Serve it with any sides you want. I do baked sweet potatoes and I make some guacamole to go with it. Chimmichuri mixed with guacamole piled on steak is brutally good. That's my vote.
    Southern California
  • Do Griffin's bacon wrapped pork medallions with garlic mustard butter.  I made it this weekend and it was fantastic.

http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/pork-medallions-with-garlic-mustard-butter/
    Pentwater, MI
  • robnybbq
    Do you cook the steak with the Chimmichurion on it?

How do I get GOOD flavor into the steak not just the crust.  This is why I am not a fan of pork chops/loins.  The outsidesd with the rub/smoke are loaded with flavor but the middle is blah

Garnerville, NY
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/05/green-lightning-shrimp/

I haven't tried it yet but darn it looks good
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • robnybbq said:
    Do you cook the steak with the Chimmichurion on it?

How do I get GOOD flavor into the steak not just the crust.  This is why I am not a fan of pork chops/loins.  The outsidesd with the rub/smoke are loaded with flavor but the middle is blah
    No, the chimmichuri is a sauce that goes on the steak after it's cooked.  You cook the steak as you normally would.  For a flank steak, I just throw it on the egg at 600-700 for a fast sear, a minute or two per side and it's done.  You can rub some garlic on it and throw some salt and pepper on it, but I wouldn't do much more than that because the flavor really comes from the chimmichuri; to throw a rub on the steak or something would kind of clash with the sauce.  

If you're looking for a steak that gives you great flavor without having to use any sauce, you'll need to either marinade a cut like skirt steak or flank steak or tri-tip.  If you're willing to shell out more cash, you can grab a really good dry-aged filet, new york or rib eye.  If you get one of those cuts, you don't need to do anything but apply heat.  They are loaded with crazy flavor.  
    Southern California
  • you could do surf and turf then, reverse sear a steak for the wife and while its resting toss on that tuna steak, make a side of the proscuito wrapped asparagus and hope she doesnt like those either

That looks tremendous.  How did you pull that off?  Temp/time for the tuna steaks?  Raised direct/standard direct?  What is the finishing dressing?
    Southern California
  • MEATLOAF

-1 lbs or 1 pack Ground Chuck.
    -1 lbs or 1 pack Ground Beef.
    -1 large sweet onion (diced)
    -1 green bell pepper (diced)
    -2 eggs
    -1 cup oatmeal
    -2 minced garlic cloves or garlic powder
    - salt pepper
    Mix everything together in a bowl until it it mixed well and you can form a loaf. I typically put my loaf in a pan because I love the crust the meat gets on the bottom and sides. Cook indirect at 300-325 until center of loaf is done. Should take about an hour.
    Sauce:
    -1 large can Tomato sauce
    -brown sugar ( to taste)
    - white vinegar (to taste)
    I mix these together on the stove to achieve a sweet, tomato conifer sauce. Should taste sweet with a little hint of vinegar.

(Alternative)
    Substitute cooked white rice for oatmeal and add cheese to your mix. Then stuff the mix into Green, red bell peppers or poblano peppers. And cook stuffed peppers.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Bust these out, or perhaps a play on the stuffed pepper.  Some of the chili's need skin charred and removed, that is why I like the Jalapeño.  
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• fishlessman
    bicktrav said:
    you could do surf and turf then, reverse sear a steak for the wife and while its resting toss on that tuna steak, make a side of the proscuito wrapped asparagus and hope she doesnt like those either

That looks tremendous.  How did you pull that off?  Temp/time for the tuna steaks?  Raised direct/standard direct?  What is the finishing dressing?
    this was the dipping sauce, the marinade was similar, about 3 tbl fish sauce, 2 tbl soy, 1 tsp white sugar, some garlic and juice of 1 lime. about 700 to 800, hotter the better, i shoot for just a slight sear with the outer edges cooked ceviche style with the marinade. marinade is 1 to 2 hours

dipping sauce
    1/4 cup each lime juice and fish sauce,2.5 tbls sugar, 2 tsp rice wine vinegar,4 keiffer lime leaves finely chpped, 1 habenero finely chopped seads and all, 4 cloves garlic,chopped cilantro, some soy for color. i also marinaded the syeaks with most of those ingrediants leaving out the leaves and habenero.  i used to do this without the kaffer leaves but now have them available
    fukahwee maine

• rack of lamb, direct!
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • What about a Tri-Tip?  That is, if you can find them at your local market...Costco has them, as I get mine there all the time...they come two in a pack there.  Relatively short cook.  Marinate in Oil and Red Wine Vinegar for a couple hours(or however long you have), when ready to grill, take out your Tri Tips, wipe dry w paper towels, lightly coat meat with fresh oil and apply liberal coat of your favorite Rub.  Light the egg, set up for Indirect, adjust temp to 375 - 400, put on Tri Tip and cook, flipping very 10 - 15 minutes, until internal temp is about 110, then pull meat and foil, remove Platesetter, heat egg to 600 - 700 and sear both sides Direct for about 2 minutes each until you get to the internal temp of your choice for rareness as tested via Thermapen...I happen to like 130 for a Medium Rare, or 135 for a Medium.  This is crazy good.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited September 2013
    robnybbq said:

Would buying normal Italian sausage (sweet or hot) work for a fatty?  Thats all the sell in the supermarkets around here.  I would have to get a bunch and cut them open.
    I suppose the market sausage would work if you've had it before and enjoyed it. The hot Italian made by one near me is almost inedible.

The texture of the pre-formed rolls makes the fatties easier to re-rolll.  If you were using bulk sausage, you might want to roll the fatty tightly in plastic and let it chill for an hour. Don't think that will fit in your time slot.

The good thing about steaks is they are usually tender. The bad thing about steaks is they have very little flavor. That is the reason that people pay a fortune for dry aged, which improves the flavor.  If you can find grass fed beef that you know has been out walking around grazing, the steaks, even thin, may be somewhat tough, but the flavor will probably be astonishing.
  • robnybbq
    Yeah - I need to learn how to cook steaks better,  I usually overcook them allot and they loose allot of flavor.  That's why I do not like cooking them.  I have the Termopen and a spider but the two do not work together.  Too hot to hold the Thermopen in the pit.  Wife likes hers well done and I like them medium-rare - I can not find a good way to cook them.  Either they are underdone or hockey pucks.

May go with Stuffed peppers tonight - never made/had them before.

No Tri-Tip around here.  Even went to a good butcher and no luck.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    a good way to try lamb if youve never tried it is to cook two center cut lamb chops as an appetizer to your steak meal. you want the ones that look like a mini tbone and dont cook it past medium rare. it cooks pretty similar to beef but packs more flavor and cooking the little sampler appetizer will keep the cost down verse buying a leg of lamb
    fukahwee maine