Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which cuts to request from 1/2 steer?

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
My BIL is having some steers butchered and I'm down for 1/2. He is going to give me the butcher's phone number so I can request my 1/2 cut like I want it for egging. Thought and opinions? Obviously full packer brisket and thick cut steaks, how about the rest? Last year we got think steaks, small roasts, and lots of ground beef.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    What's happening to the single parts, like the tongue, heart, and tail? All really good. And, If you make soups or stews, the neck bones are great. Can you request marrow bones? Not terrible to loose the cheek to a grinder, but it can make a pretty good meal marinaded, and then slow cooked.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i would find out if he has his own cut sheet, alot of these guys have a cut sheet you can choose from then see if you can deviate from it with all the smaller stuff, tritip, flank steaks, skirt etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Make sure you get the sirloin flap.

Steve 

Caledon, ON