Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Adjustable Rig

Just ordered an adjustable rig from Tom at Ceramic Grill Store (http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/)... The website is a little overwhelming, but I called and he guided me through exactly what I needed. 

Can you guys post pics of your Adjustable rig setups? I will post mine as soon as it comes in! I am curious what else you can cook on the three rack setup where they demonstrate 6 racks of ribs at once.

-Josh
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153

Here is a thread talking about the Woo2 from the CGS. 

http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157017/picked-up-my-woo2-and-ar-today#latest

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • I'm very interested in grabbing an AR too, but like you I've found the site ridiculously overwhelming.  I'm going to give them a call when I have a moment and try to work through what I need.  You can tell that the ARs are versatile and useful, but man it's tough to figure out what's what when you're parsing through the webpage.
    Southern California
  • yeah, the site is a little confusing.  I called and asked the nice lady to hold my hand.  She was on the phone with me for about 15 minutes and was VERY helpful.  I wound up probably getting more stuff than I needed but it's all so much fun!

Adjustable Rig
    Rig Extender
    Spider
    Pizza Stones
    cross members
    some more grills
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited September 2013
    Not had much luck posting pics, but I'll try again.

Wow, it worked!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Thanks @Dredger

Is that chicken coated with?

• Dredger
    It's coated with flour. That's AZRP's recipe for "The Chicken". http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm It's a killer recipe. This is how it looked when it came off the egg and before saucing it. Perfect crust.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • wow, that looks great! Added to my list!

• @Dredger, what exactly is that set up?  AR?  Woo?  Grid extender?  Can you slide the top grid to access the food on the lower grid?  Does the lower grid slide?  I'd really love to have multiple tiers like that, but want sliding access and can't figure out which configuration would provide it.
    Southern California
  • Dredger
    @bicktrav, it's the AR from the Ceramic Grill Store and, yes, everything slides. Very versatile

Adjustable Rig Extender with Crossbar & 16" Sliding D Grid
    Large Adjustable Rig R & B Oval Combo (includes Oval stone)
    14" Stainless Drip Pan

I'm not sure if they still have this combo, but just give them a call. They are very patient and helpful. I watched the video a gazillion times just to get my head wrapped around the mechanics, then I called Tom and discussed everything with him. I'm a very satisfied customer.

This is what it looked like before it's maiden voyage. It doesn't look like that now, lol.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger said:
    @bicktrav, it's the AR from the Ceramic Grill Store and, yes, everything slides. Very versatile

14" Stainless Drip Pan

I'm not sure if they still have this combo, but just give them a call. They are very patient and helpful. I watched the video a gazillion times just to get my head wrapped around the mechanics, then I called Tom and discussed everything with him. I'm a very satisfied customer.

This is what it looked like before it's maiden voyage. It doesn't look like that now, lol.

That's fantastic.  That's pretty much exactly what I want.  I didn't know they had circular grids that slid.  On the site, I think it says the oval grids slide, but not the circular grids.  Anyway, really awesome setup.  Thanks for sharing!
    Southern California
  • @Dredger, thats the setup I'd like to get as well.  Looks great...thanks.
  • His bottom grid is an oval that slides out, the top one is the sliding D grid. The D grid will only work with the Rig extension on the very top of the rig.

I am stoked, I ordered that very set-up, but also got the extra oval grids and spider w/13" stone to make a three layer cook.

• Is the cooking surface on the oval grid big enough?  That's my concern with it.  I worry that there's not going to be enough room on the surface.  Also, I have a half moon cast iron griddle for my egg right now that I use all the time.  I worry that the oval won't be big enough to hold it.  Any issues with diminished cooking space?
    Southern California
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    edited September 2013

I've got the oval grid and haven't had any issues with space, but I don't cook larger cuts/amounts of meat than what me and the wife/kids can handle.  I took the guess work out of what to get and just  got the large AR customer combo (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-customer-combo/) and love it, I got the 13x17 oval grid but didn't get the oval stone to go with it.  I'll change that in the near future though

The way the set up works, you put the spider down in the notches cut out in the fire ring.  The ceramic stone (they call it the "indirect piece") goes on the spider (but I imagine you can put it higher up on the Rig itself), your drip pan would sit on top of the ceramic stone, and your grid goes on the 1 set of cross bars at the height of your choosing.  The standard grid that came with my LBGE will fit on the top of the AR, and with the oval grid at a lower setting, I can squeeze more meat on the grill, but I have no way of swapping them because I don't have the extender that allows the slide in/out funcationality.  I ended ended up ordering an extra set of cross bars ($7) so that my drip pan is raised up off the stone.  I'd suggest getting the oval grid AND oval stone.  That way, you have an unobstructed space to drop wood chunks down into the lump once the cook is underway without moving the grids mid cook and having the lid open any longer than necessary.  If you plan on getting the extender, or if you find youself having to remove components mid cook to add wood chunks, you'll definitely want to invest in some welders gloves.  Much easier than trying to hold a hot grid with a set of tongs

• Dredger
    This page explains the differences between the round and oval ARs. The frame of the AR allows you to select different spacing between the cooking levels. Just move the crossbars to the height you need. I would not be without the AR extender and sliding D grid. My SIL eats more chicken than I ever thought humanly possible.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger said:

14" Stainless Drip Pan

So with this setup your stock BGE grate isn't used period or can it be incorporated in somewhere?
    Albion, PA
  • With that particular setup, the original grate isn't used... However, if you remove the sliding grid from the top it can be used in its place (w/o the sliding function).

• jtippers said:
    With that particular setup, the original grate isn't used... However, if you remove the sliding grid from the top it can be used in its place (w/o the sliding function).

Thanks!  That's what I thought but wanted to make sure.  I guess I could always use the stock on top for now and order the sliding extender down the road.  I need to stop buying new toys for the Egg for a month or two at least. :-$
    Albion, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    jtippers said:
    With that particular setup, the original grate isn't used... However, if you remove the sliding grid from the top it can be used in its place (w/o the sliding function).
    and with the origional grill on top its easy to spin the grill 180 if the back is cooking faster than the front
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dredger
    @HorseMover, I don't use my standard BGE grate when I use this. I'm not sure if anyone else has, but I haven't had a need to. In the pic showing the chicken cooking, I have the AR sitting on the fire box ring.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Hey Josh, I enjoyed our conversation. Thanks to all for supporting Ceramic Grill Store and spreading the word.  Tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.