Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huevos Macho Verde chili verde - pics and recipe

Options
chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
onions.jpg
<p /><p align="center"><font size="5">Huevos</font><font size="5"> Macho Verde
(Egg, Big Green) Chili Verde</font>
[/p][p]I developed this recipe for a chili verde contest. I decided to make the chili from scratch, using no canned sauces. I also wanted to use the BGE as much as possible, to impart that wonderful smoky taste that is so unique to the egg.[p]I'm happy to report my labor was successful, this chili won FIRST PLACE out of 13 contestants! (by the way, the picture shows the eSlate, the voting machine I helped design. My recipe is second up from the bottom).[p]<font size="4">Recipe:</font>[/p][p]Meat:
5 lb pork sirloin roast, 3 1/2 lb cubed, 1 1/2 lb ground[/p][p]Spices:
1 Tbsp kosher or sea salt
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
2 Tbsp cumin seed
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp oregano[/p][p]Peppers:
10 poblanos, roasted
6 Anaheim, roasted
8 Serrano, seeded and de-veined
5 jalapeños, seeded and de-veined
1 green bell pepper[/p][p]Other:
1 sweet onion, medium size
1 lime
3 Tbsp chopped fresh garlic
9 Mexican green onions, white part only (can substitute 1 bunch regular green onion)
14 tomatillos (about 1 1/2 lb)
24 oz. (two bottles) lager beer (I used Anchor Steam)
64 oz. chicken broth
1 tsp. chipotle (smoked, dried & ground red jalapeño peppers - homemade)
1/2 tsp. anchovy paste
hickory chunks for smoke
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)[/p][p]Roux:
6 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour (use only enough to make the Roux)[/p][p]Preparation:
BGE -
Put a full load of lump in your egg, and fire it up to about 400 degrees. You will want to roast the peppers direct, over a pretty darn hot bed of coals.[p]Meat -
Put the meat into the freezer an hour or two before prep begins. A light freeze on the meat makes it easier to cube. I started to run out of time, so about 2/3 of the way through the meat cubing, I got out the meat grinder and ground the rest. Combine ground pork with cubed, and put in the refrigerator until needed.[p]Spices -
grind separately peppercorns, cumin seed, and sea salt in mortar and pestle. Put these fresh-ground spices into a small food processor along with the rest of the spices. Blend on high for a minute or so to combine all the flavors. Set aside. Chop about 3 Tbsp of fresh garlic, set aside.[p]<a ref="http://grayparrotglass.com/egg/readytoroast.jpg">Peppers</a&gt; -
Roast the poblanos and Anaheim peppers over the hot coals, lid open. Use a set of long tongs, and an oven mitt. Let them get pretty black, turning as necessary. Because of the hot fire, you'll be right there keeping track of them. As the peppers get black, pull them off the grill and drop them into a plastic grocery sack that's inside a paper grocery sack. I used two separate plastic sacks, one for the poblanos and one for the Anaheims.
When all the peppers are in the bags, spin the tops closed, and close up the paper sack. Set aside, and the steam will loosen the skins. Throttle down the egg, you'll want to smoke the onions etc. at about 220-260. Now you can prep the Serrano peppers - cut in half, and remove stems, seeds, and veins. Set them aside, they will be processed fresh when the rest of the peppers are chopped in the food processor.[p]Meat Final Prep -
Take the pork out of the fridge, and put into a roasting pan sized for your egg. Mash the meat down to get a nice even layer. Retrieve your prepared spices, and sprinkle all over the top of the pork. Don't mix it in.[p]Smoked ingredients -
Peel the husks off the tomatillos, and wash in cold water. I use the veggie wash spray to help clean them up. Actually, I used the veggie wash spray on all the peppers and onions. Cut each tomatillo in half and trim out the stem part. Put these halves into a bowl, the slice the lime in half and squeeze lime juice into the bowl. Toss to coat all the tomatillos in the lime juice.
Peel the sweet onion, and cut in half (through the equator). Put into another bowl. Trim up the green onions (leave greens on) & put in bowl with sweet onion. Cut green bell pepper in half, seed & remove veins & put with onions. Cut jalapeños in half, seed and de-vein (I suggest you wear latex gloves here). Put in bowl with onions. Now sprinkle in some EVOO, some sea salt, and a couple of twists of fresh ground pepper.
Take the bowl of tomatillos and the bowl of onions/peppers out to the egg. Make sure it's not too hot, you're not wanting to cook these ingredients, just add smoke. Put three good-size chunks of hickory right on the coals. Then put the halved, lime juiced tomatillos on the cooking grid & smoke for 8-10 minutes, lid down. You'll have to open the lid of course to turn them & move them around so they don't cook. Remove the smoked tomatillos & put in the ingredients in the pepper/onion bowl (sweet onion, halved, jalapeño peppers, halved, green bell pepper, halved, Mexican green onions, halved.
Smoke these for 5 minutes or so, they don't need as much time because the oil really absorbs the smoke. In fact, you may want to wipe off some of the oil from these ingredients before adding them to the cook. This will help control the amount of smoke flavor that ends up in the chili. Remove onions & peppers & carry everything back inside. Open the egg vents back up, and get the temp back up to about 400 degrees. I use a little battery powered fan to help refire the coals.[p]Meat Cook -
Put the roasting pan with the seasoned pork in the egg. Cook at 400 degrees for about a hour or a bit more. I pulled mine out when my Thermapen read around 185.[p]Pepper prep -
Retrieve the bag with the roasted peppers. Remove the skins, stems, & seeds from all the roasted peppers. This can be done under running water in a sink. Now a bigger food processor will come in really handy:[p]Chop the following ingredients - poblanos, Anaheims, Serranos, and garlic
Fine chop the following: Sweet onion, green onion (white parts only), green bell pepper, and jalopenos
Puree the following: tomatillos[/p][p]Final Cook:
Into a large stockpot, put the cooked pork along with all the juices. The pork will have cooked into a mass, but that will break apart fairly easily after the chili has cooked awhile. Put in all other ingredients except anchovy paste, chipotle, and Roux. Cook the chili for a couple of hours, or less, until the peppers are done to your liking. While stirring the chili during cooking, break up the pork pieces.[p]Prepare a brown Roux with butter & flour, and slowly add to the chili. Add the anchovy paste. Cook for another 30 minutes, and check the seasoning level (and heat index). Add more salt if needed, and more serrano chilis if you want more heat. You may add up to 2 cups water to make sure the chili is not too thick because of the Roux. [/p][p]A final note - don't add any fresh cilantro to this recipe. It clashes with the smoky flavor!

[ul][li]The recipe on my web site[/ul]

Comments

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Mornin' chuckls,
    Thanks & cheers,
    bruce

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    chuckls,[p]That looks like a championship chili to me! Good job. Now that you've set the bar, it looks like your co-workers will have their work cut out for them for next years contest.[p]I'm looking forward to exploring the lime and anchovy paste myself.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • chuckls
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I picked up the lime tip by browsing the International Chili Society website, & cherry picking ideas from the recipes of the winners from the last 5 years. The anchovy paste isn't very traditional, but is quite effective in adding that star quality to soups & stews. I thought I'd try it in this chili, and it worked pretty well.[p]Stay warm til Sunday - it's supposed to snow here then![p]Chuck

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    chuckls,[p]looks like i'll be giving your recipe a shot, thanks for posting it! When i clicked on the 'first place' clicky thingy there is some kind of electronic gadget would that be some kind of digital cookbook?[p]Scott[p]

• chuckls
    Options
    eggor,[p]That's the "eSlate", an electronic voting machine that I helped design where I work in Lafayette, CO. This device is used in counties across the country for elections, and even your very own Larimer County is considering buying their election solution from us.[p]I've posted a link to the product that I designed, it's a paper ballot system that is currently being used by Boulder County. It is also the system that was used in the California recall election that elected Arnold as Govenor of California![p]Chuck
    [ul][li]My contribution to democracy [/ul]
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    chuckls,[p]oops, I guess i should have read what was in parenthesis.[p]Congrats again, on the win. Did you like what the texture of the ground pork did for the chili? And it looks like it had a little heat on it.[p]Scott

• chuckls
    Options
    eggor,[p]The addition of ground pork along with the cubed pork gave an added dimension to the overall texture - I considered doing this ahead of time, and then when I found I was running short of time on Sunday, I went ahead and ground the portion of the sirloin roast that had the most connective tissue in it. [p]The heat factor was pretty subdued, to my taste. There definitely is some pepper heat, but not at all too much to make a meal out of a bowl of this stuff. I guess overall I would rate the heat factor as medium. Especially because the ratio of poblano peppers to anaheim peppers is in reverse ration to most other chili verde recipes.[p]Chuck
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    chuckls,[p]Speaking of anchovies, did you know that they are an ingredient in worcestershire sauce?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery