Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling paella experts

Options
Trial run on the rice. I've never had this dish so I'm not sure what to expect. The rice didn't gum up but seemed undercooked. Great taste but crunchy... And not just the bottom. Followed nw's recipe to the tee, even the temps. The rice never popped... I waited and finally took it off. Should I gave waited more mixing the rice with the sofrito?

Thanks
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    I had some paella a few times in Key West. It was made by some legit cubans but I was too "happy" to recall what it was like. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but the rice may have been undercooked. Did you have enough fluid to cook the rice, or if you did how much was left when you took it off the egg? 

Paella should have the rice cooked, but the bottom crunchy (the socarrat). Once you add the final ingredients to the pan, you don't stir it so that the bottom layer is undisturbed and gets crunchified. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    I dare say that I might be an expert and at the least, pretty experienced with making paellas.  I've made many, many, over the past 12 years.  
    I don't know the recipe you're talking about, I usually shoot from the hip and with feel but it's a fine balance between throwing in the various ingredients according to how long it takes to cook them, enough liquid to fully cook the rice, not too much liquid and building the socarrat.  
    At a certain point, I totally stop stirring it for quite some time until it's done.  It sounds like you might not have had enough liquid or you didn't wait long enough.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I went by the naked whiz recipe...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    You said you'd followed a recipe to a tee, but also "trial run on the rice"; so you didn't include the meats/other ingredients?  Those extra ingredients, added later, would cool the mixture (except for the bottom) allowing the liquid to stay longer; that would explain why the upper levels of rice were undercooked.  I think.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

Not claiming to be an eggspert but have done several TNW recipe paella's in the past 18 months.   Always heard the rice crackle and form the soccarat.  A key factor is shutting the dome when in the stretch-run.  I'm with @Botch on a possible factor.  Beyond that-back on the horse.  And it is well worth it.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Was all the rice under cooked or just the top layer? At the point where my liquid is starting to fall below the top layer of the rice I test a few grains of rice for doneness. I'll (gently, so as not to disturb the rice) add more liquid if those grains are not fully cooked. You can also put foil over your paella pan during the last 15-20 minutes to help the top layer cook. It's possible that closing the lid of your egg might do the same thing... may pan handles will not allow my egg to close completely.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    my attempts havent been good and i just stopped making them
    :)) some things ive learned though is not to pile it on in the pan, thin paella can be better. sofrito is not needed and may make it pastier if used too heavy. the idea is to flavor the rice with the broths
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it