Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any ideas for outdoor kitchen sink module?

Options
My new patio is finally finished, and I have been thinking about how to set up my cooking area.

I had originally thought of building an island, maybe 3' wide/deep x 5' long, with a sink and cabinet for storing charcoal, eggcessories etc. The area is uncovered, and stubbed for water and electric. I then thought of buying an outdoor kitchen island module with a sink in it, instead of building one myself. I've seen pictures of a Challenger unit with a sink and cabinet(s), but have no idea what that kind unit costs (will try and call the company tomorrow).

Does anyone have any ideas for what I am looking for? Lowes had a unit on its website, but I don't need the burners: http://www.lowes.com/pd_102192-32439-BG179C_0__?productId=3511184&Ntt=outdoor+sink&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Doutdoor%2Bsink&facetInfo= 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is your egg in a table or nest?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    It's in a rolling crate. I dont need the unit to hold the egg.

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• henapple
    Options
    Thought you might match it if you did. What's the purpose of the sink? Prep, hand washing, ?
  • caliking
    Options
    @Hic: I actually ordered that item. First one dented in shipping, so had it replaced. Second unit also dented, screws missing. So cannibalized the first unit to get one undented unit between the two of them. Its not a very well designed unit, and expensive, so it it will likely be returned. Amazon customer service has been first class though (as usual).

I was hoping to get a unit with cabinets to store lump and other stuff. But seeing as how these sink units are pricey and don't seem to be built very well, I may opt for my original idea - buy a stainless steel prep table, and drop a sink in one side of it. I would get some shelf space underneath, but have not seen anything with cabinets. I have also thought of getting a watertight deckbox to keep things dry if I end up cutting out a prep table and putting a sink in it.

@henapple: I mainly want the sink for washing my hands. Would like to have some prep space, and some covered storage space. A cabinet with a sink and prep area would be ideal. 

• henapple
    Options
    Just some fft.. Consider a double sink and as deep/big as you can without ruining the aesthetics your shooting for. Maybe a spray head. I'd also think about a built in/removable cutting board and possibly a cut out hole beside the board to slide trash, wrapper, etc..
  • caliking
    Options
    Those are good ideas. I was looking at some fishing/camping type tables which may fit the bill (at least until I can build an island myself) and thought the cutout for trash was a great idea. I would consider adding that if I end up going the stainless steel table route.

Any particular reason you recommend the deep double sink?

• henapple
    Options
    I like being able to wash my dishes outside especially on a large cook. Bigger is better... That's what my ex-wife said... >:)
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Deep sinks are the way to go. We have deep double sinks in our kitchen, and I have a second kitchenette that is my prep area for grilling/canning/stuff and it is deep ceramic. Amazing for big cuts of meat or setting something in to thaw. Get less spray out in a deep sink.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    My dad is building an outdoor kitchen right now. Roof just got finished. I had some prep pics on my old phone but lost em. I'll post some when he's done. He went all out but committed treason and went with the big Komodo joe cause mom liked the red.

XLBGE 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    with a 3x5 work area, you need more counter space than sink.  If you think about it, more often than not, you can carry dirty pans and such inside to wash.  Not very often do you actually need water for the cooker.  I put a deep sink in the garage.  You might consider a wash tub from lowes.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • caliking
    Options
    @tjv: I do like the idea of a smaller sink and bigger counter area. Dish washing will likely happen inside, so a bigger sink may not be needed as much. Plus I have a space constraint, so a bigger longer table (to accommodate a bigger sink and more counter space) is not really an option. 

The more I think about it, the ss sink unit modules are too expensive for what they are. Checked the Napolean website, and it too is made of ss panels screwed together, although much cheaper than the Swiss Grill unit.  I'm leaning towards putting a bar sink in an ss table from Sam's or Costco, and getting a deckbox for stuff that needs to stay covered/dry, and then building an island myself later on.

Thanks for all the recs, folks.

And MCN - you let your pops buy a Kamado Joe?!?!? Sacrilege!!! :) Just kidding. He obviously knows the value of keeping the boss at home happy.