Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock direct

I've always cooked them indirect but last time went raised direct. The grease drippings smelt awful so I put foil over three bottom grid. Is that considered direct? Any advice?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I find spatch isn't so bad for dripping grease if trimmed up nicely but thighs and wings are bad.
    Nothing worse than bad greasy smoke!!!

I do indirect at 400 alot now because of this.

My guess is indirect?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2013

"Is that considered direct?"   No, it is indirect.......

I only do direct (and do a lot of it both chickens and turkeys spatchcocked). Never a problem with grease drippings. But I go 400 and raised. I do cut that large fat sac/flap off found on one side at the rear. Raise your temp and I bet your problem goes away buddy.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182
    +1 with raised direct-and raised well up into the dome about 2-3" above the gasket line.  Also run with the lump just above the side air holes to maximize separation.  No issues with grease drippings with either spatch chix or wings.  FWIW-YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,678
    never had a problem direct in a large at 375. smaller grills i do and the way to fix it is with some thinned out sauce. not a spatch but full breast and very similar cook, oh, not an egg either
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foil, setter, stone all are barriers to the IR from lump, so indirect. I spatch both ways, raised direct dome temp 400º, indirect with a dome temp of 450º. Depends on the rub or sauce used. 
    Tend to go more raised direct with rubs and indirect if sauced. just a preference. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    put a pan of veggies under the bird.  the drippings will season the veggies.  I use small carrots.  You can move the pan or bird around during the cook to get the desired results.    

AZRP on the other forum deserves the credit for popularizing the method........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do the veggies when cooking indirect. I'll try again. Thanks
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've wondered about this too, so I'm watching this thread.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    For spatch or just parts of chicken I do raised direct generally at felt or just a bit higher and 425-450*. I do get a fat burning smell out of the chimney but it doesn't seem to impact the meat.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    Matt, I've never finished the cook without putting something under it. Maybe I just need to let it smell. It's a $5 chicken.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2013
    Wen you spatchcock, do you cut the whole backbone out?
    Found that the 1" piece backbone, plus what my Irish Grandmother called the Pope's nose being removed reduces the fat content big time. Also trim the fatty skin around the leg back junction. (We boil all those parts for broth). 
    Never had a fat drip issue. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Wen you spatchcock, do you cut the whole backbone out?

Found that the 1" piece backbone, plus what my Irish Grandmother called the Pope's nose being removed reduces the fat content big time. Also trim the fatty skin around the leg back junction. (We boil all those parts for broth). 
    Never had a fat drip issue. 
    This guy. Also, brown the backbone in the pot your making the stock. Them french guys knew what they were doing back in the day.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Are y'all using a woo to get it raised without the platesetter?  If not, what are you using to go raised direct?
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Adjustable rig from CGS.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I've tried direct a couple of times, but no one else in the family would eat the "smoky" bird, so now it is always indirect.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I've tried raised direct a few times. The first time it was tough - I blamed it on the chicken. The second time, I had rubber skin. The third time, it cooked very unevenly. I guess I need to keep trying raised direct so I can learn what's going on.

I have had a lot better results going indirect myself. Not sure why that is. I also hate the mess with the drip pan, but I have been happy to wait the extra 25-30 minutes for a better spatchcock. Besides, I can enjoy another beer while I wait. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    mokadir said:
    I've tried direct a couple of times, but no one else in the family would eat the "smoky" bird, so now it is always indirect.

There is no way "smoky" bird had anything to do with direct/indirect cook. That could only be caused by having wood in old lump and adding more or just adding too much wood to cook. You want VERY LITTLE wood at all with chickens/turkey.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    @Mickey... You want VERY LITTLE wood at all with chickens/turkey.

Apparently you haven't been to Tennessee mountains.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

When I spatchcock, I do raised, with just a drip pan on the lower grid.  Cuts way down on the "bird-fat" smoke and really easy to clean, just lift out and toss.

Not sure if that qualifies as "indirect", but it's sure my preferred way.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I do mine direct @ 350ish.  No problem.  Do them naked with a very light coat of oil and seasoning of choice.  Cook to 165 breast and the thighs will be 180ish.  I've never had a dry one that way.  Meat is done to the bone. 

Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • henapple
    Fired up the egg and got my 6' ladder out... Going raised baby.