Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back and Forth

For all my ravings about how well I did yesterday, I'm struggling right now.  Got my fire going and shut the lid heading for 450 to do a spatchcock.  Back and forth between 450 and 470.  Minor adjustment to the daisy going one way and another minor adjustment going the other.  Put the plate setter on to go raised indirect as suggested and again the back and forth game.  Thought I had it stable so I put the chook have been playing the back and forth game for a while now.  Plus, I'm sending out a TON of smoke (think it's coming off the grease from the plate setter).  Vents are open much farther than I figured they would be. I have pics, but don't have time to get them up cause I'm playing with the temp.  Suggestions?  Was looking for a chance to start some sides, but I don't dare walk off right now.
Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 317
    So finally got it stable, but this thing is POURING smoke.  Is that normal for a spatchcock?  I didn't clean the platesetter from yesterday, but I was under the impression that wasn't a big deal.  I added few hickory chunks yesterday, but nothing to account for this smoke. The SWMBO came home and was like WTF.   At least she had a sense of humor about it (so far). 
    Again my bottom vent is open 2 1/2 inches and the petals on the daisy are wide open.  Normal?
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    Chicken will make a ton of smoke, to slow it down a bit you can add a drip pan with some water. Those settings sounds about correct for the temp.
    Aurora,OH
  • CP92
    Thanks Dad.  I feel like your nick name right now.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • I was in your shoes just last month. :)
    Aurora,OH
  • CP92
    So here are the pics I was able to take.  Chook turned out a bit dry but that was my fault.  Left it on too long and my thremapen didn't arrive today.  Guess I'll just have to try again.
    The first two where I finally got stable at about 460.  That smoke was tame compared to what was pouring off at one point.  I seriously thought the neighbors were going to call the fire dept.

Thanks again for all the help.

imageimageimageimage
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    If it's one thing I've learned is to always use a drip pan or foil the platesetter while using.  That platesetter will absorb everything and then smoke like a mofo when it gets to temp.  Ruined a pizza due to that.
    Now I always use a drip pan or some foil on the platesetter to protect it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Good attempt man, sounds like you nailed the temps. As my Dad always said, "Boy, you are chasing a fart in a windstorm". The egg reacts slowly, give it a chance, a small adjustment on the DFMT may take 10 minutes to take effect. I don't use much smoke wood, Chicken doesn't need it. 

Get a Dollar Store pizza pan that will fit inside the inverted legs of your setter. Wad three foil balls, about 1/2"-1" in diameter, put them on the setter and the foil lined pizza pan on the foil balls. Put your grid at the felt line on the setter legs. Same temp, no smoke, easy clean up - the drippings will all hit the pizza pan which stays much cooler than the setter because of the air space. I don't like water, the egg doesn't need it. Some guys use salt on the pizza/drip pan to absorb the spooge. Good Luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Next time, just have a drink! At those temps, chunks can burn pretty good. And burning wood creates thick smoke. Also, when the grill is that hot, it will want to take off- so only open it when necessary. I bet that was one smoky chicken!
    NW IOWA
  • I think if I was shooting for 450 and it wanted to settle at 470 I would not worry about it one bit and just cook at 470....just my opinion
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I wouldn't worry too much about a 450-470 difference. I used to be the same way about getting that perfect temp when I first got my Egg, now I generally just get it in the ballpark.

If you are doing chicken and getting a ton of smoke, I'd close the bottom a bit more and take the dfmt off so that the smoke escapes faster, ie nothing impending its flow. You can still control the temp from the bottom and eventually you can hit your target temps just using the bottom vent. @Mickey does it this way. he never uses a the dfmt.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• CP92
    Appreciate it all folks. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD