Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think I'm probably DONE with Cowboy Brand Charcoal

Options
So I was reading the naked whiz charcoal reviews last night and read up on Cowboy.  My closest hardware store carries it and I know it's not the best but I've been lazy more than once.  I need to drive the extra mile and get the GFS private labeled Royal Oak or some NatureGlow which I can get at the coop.  Well, I was shocked to see the cowboy review that had images of plastic string.  YUCK! 
Tonight I was getting ready to do some wok cooking and opened one of two large Cowboy bags I have and as I was pouring some out, I was more shocked to find a piece of plastic string in my bag!!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one.  It looks like a bushel bag or a bag that lines a cardboard gaylord box.  Very nasty...

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Comments

• ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    edited September 2013
    Options
    yuck!

In case you can't spot it, this is a pic of the offending plastic string, identical to the material that the naked whiz talks about
     Brillat-Savarin
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    I'd be willing to bet almost anything that they're pieces of beat up polypropylene bulk bags like these

Brillat-Savarin
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Cowboy is the only reason that I shop at WalMart as much as I hate too.  BGE branded lump at my dealer is too expensive per pound and WalMart has Royal Oak.  Enough said.  Cowboy is at both Home Depot and Lowes in my area but I will drive the extra mile to get the Royal Oak at Wally world.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That's a possibility. I wonder if they use those huge sacks that can hold 3k lbs and haul them around with a forklift. Similar to the ones used at a landscape supply.
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    What kinda freaks me out is that I would have never paid that much attention to what could be in the bag until I read that review online and saw his pics.  The next bag I opened I find this string.  I bet there is more in the rest of the bag and I'm SURE that I've burnt this plastic string, many, many times in the past because I've used a good deal of it.  I wrote the factory.  They really need to get a handle on this, that's disgusting.
     Brillat-Savarin
  • HorseMover
    Options
    I picked up 5 bags of Cowboy on clearance at HD for $2.97 a bag. I had read the horror stories but the bag I opened this past weekend didn't look too bad. I was amazed at how fast it burned up and the spark compared to Royal Oak.
    Albion, PA
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    pay closer attention when you pour it in next time, I know I will, I have two bags left.  2.97 a bag, lol, that IS a killer deal.
     Brillat-Savarin
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    That's a possibility. I wonder if they use those huge sacks that can hold 3k lbs and haul them around with a forklift. Similar to the ones used at a landscape supply.
    yes, I'd be willing to bet anything they're polypropylene bulk bags like this 

http://images.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/large-189-887.jpg 

that are getting used over and over until they shred and then they keep using them.
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Cowboy prolly bags the lump in large poly bags then ships to distribution centers for final bagging. The small hunk of string is easy to find and remove, just think of all the garbage that might be in the lump that we do not see 'cause it has been covered with black dust. Generally it is OK, not the best but OK. If it is on sale it is more than OK. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HorseMover
    Options

Cowboy prolly bags the lump in large poly bags then ships to distribution centers for final bagging. The small hunk of string is easy to find and remove, just think of all the garbage that might be in the lump that we do not see 'cause it has been covered with black dust. Generally it is OK, not the best but OK. If it is on sale it is more than OK. 

Agreed...I am only 3 weeks into this and all I have used so far is Royal Oak and Cowboy but for $2.97 a bag it's hard to complain too much. Royal Oak seemed better but at twice the price of the clearance Cowboy. Given full price the choice is clear. Looking forward to giving some other brands a try.
    Albion, PA
  • tactical_66
    Options
    I stopped using it a while ago. I found too much stuff in it too often. It sparked a lot when burning. My favorite now is Frontier. It burns very well and i have been very satisfied with the performance.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@ringkingpin I bet you are right about the poly bags. Sounds logical.

I'm like @Scottborasjr in that I'll go to Wallyworld just to buy Royal Oak. But no matter what kind of lump you buy, I'd bet you eventually find something in it. Hopefully before you cook on it and not after like this piece of unidentifiable plastic that I found Friday.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• plumbfir01
    Options
    I finally gave up and started looking at buying bulk quality lump. I posted on here for anyone interested in splitting a pallet and it turned out that a group buy was going on for Rockwood and we ordered 3 pallets at 16.50/bag. Super price for the #1 rated lump...much cheaper then the other brands 
    contact Rockwood and they will tell you if anyone in your areas is doing group buys. They have great customer service. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    just so you know, the review of cowboy on whizes site is not up to date, cowboy has changed their lump considerably
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    for the 16.50 / bag, how many pounds is that?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I've never had an issue with cowboy. All these things y'all are finding has never been in my bag. Has anyone called cowboy up to complain? If so, what's the result?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Frontier is $20 for 34 lbs@ BJs. That's a good price.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

@fishlessman, when you say that the Whiz is out of date on Cowboy and they have changed, do you mean for better or for worse>

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    just so you know, the review of cowboy on whizes site is not up to date, cowboy has changed their lump considerably
    You must not have been to his site in a while.  There are two reviews for COWBOY, one from 2007 and one from 2013.  It's very much up to date.  
    They have changed the type of wood they use, or at least I haven't found any plywood in these bags. 
     Brillat-Savarin
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    I've never had an issue with cowboy. All these things y'all are finding has never been in my bag. Has anyone called cowboy up to complain? If so, what's the result?
    Ya know, I never had any real problems either.  Sure, it sparks a lot when lighting, yes it produces more ash than others but when I read the review yesterday morning and saw the pic and then opened a fresh bag and myself found some plastic string, I was shocked.  
    Try paying a little more attention while pouring it in, you might surprise yourself. 
     Brillat-Savarin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    You must not have been to his site in a while.  There are two reviews for COWBOY, one from 2007 and one from 2013.  It's very much up to date.  
    They have changed the type of wood they use, or at least I haven't found any plywood in these bags. 
    i see it now, one link he mentions the new lump, the other link is the new review, thats strange
    :)) other than it taking a little longer to smell right i havent got any real complaints with the new cowboy. it is smokey and years ago i would have hated that, im ok with that now. i find it lights real quick with the oil and napkin method thru the lower vent method
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • revolver1
    Options
    check the site again.  Recent update = average.  I use it when it's on sale and have not had a problem.  I've tried several different brands and have found "foreign objects" in all of them.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    After a clean burn I found this rock in my egg from a bag of Ozark Oak... That's it dammit. I'm switching to something else.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HorseMover
    Options
    henapple said:
    After a clean burn I found this rock in my egg from a bag of Ozark Oak... That's it dammit. I'm switching to something else.

At least you found a quarter too :-\"
    Albion, PA
  • daffy1909
    Options
    I find rocks in RO & BGE. Brand all the time :-?? Not enuff to not purchase any more!
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    even though rocks weigh more than polyethawhatever, I'd MUCH prefer rocks in my egg than plastic.  BTW, Griffin, that pic you posted is WILD.  What in the world was that?  A tennis ball?

Brillat-Savarin
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    LOL, check this out, I'm just getting the egg going for a wok session and came across this from the same bag as well as some smaller pieces.  This one had a knot in the end.  When I open it up, it's like a net

Brillat-Savarin
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Lowes was selling cowboy for $15 for a 20lb bag. A local competitor had a sale on cowboy for $8. A bag. Lowes matched it and gave me an additional 10% off Spending $7.20 per 20lb bag, I think I can deal with the extra sparks and maybe a few pieces of twine that will never make it into the egg because I look at what I pour from my bags. Just my $.02
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    One bag is all it took for me.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys