Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turbo Brisket Success - With Pics

CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,551
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Covered this in another post, but thought I'd condense.  Did a ~ 10 lb packer (pre-trim weight) today on my XL.  In short, I smoked at 300 deg grate temp for 3-1/2 hours, then foiled for another hour to reach 203 internal temp.  FTC for three hours then served. Absolutely a great cook!   Used Hickory chunks for smoke, for rub used the same sugar/paprika/salt/pepper rub I use for pork.  I will repeat this one - it's going in my recipe file.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• I love brisket but have been hesitant to try it for fear of failing but yours looks so good I think I'm ready. 
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • rholtrholt Posts: 375
    Way to go you.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,250
    Haven't done turbo at all yet, think its soon time to try.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
  • texaswigtexaswig Posts: 1,009
    My first brisket didn't look that got.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
  • texaswigtexaswig Posts: 1,009
    Sorry wrong post. I thought you said it was your first.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,551
    texaswig said:
    Sorry wrong post. I thought you said it was your first.
    It was my first packer and my first on the Egg.  Had done flats twice before on a vertical smoker with disappointing results.
    Rochester, NY
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Turbo rules
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Will bookmark and try a turbo next. My last all nighter was a bit dry.
    Dunedin, FL
  • ProserProser Posts: 201
    I really want to try a turbo brisket and yours looks great and sounds easy When you say foiled for an hour to reach 203, do you mean wrapped in foil on the grill before you FTC? Same foil to FTC ?
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, and a Mini Max
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,551
    Proser said:
    I really want to try a turbo brisket and yours looks great and sounds easy When you say foiled for an hour to reach 203, do you mean wrapped in foil on the grill before you FTC? Same foil to FTC ?
    Yes, I wrapped in foil on the grill, then moved foil and all to the FTC.  When I transfer to the cooler, I do put my foil package in a large ziploc bag - keeps the towels clean, and also traps moisture.
    Rochester, NY
  • ProserProser Posts: 201
    Thanks, I'm going to give it try soon
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, and a Mini Max