Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature and Indirect ?

Official BGE recipes often refer to "indirect at 230" or  "indirect at 340"

Is indirect meaning place setter feet up ?

and I presume the temperature is that from their thermometer taken at the top of the dome not the temp at the grate ?

What do you all think ?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Most recipes referring to temp mean Dome temp, the one that comes with all Eggs. If different it is usually specified. Indirect means Platesetter legs up, with grid on top of legs.

So would you only use the legs up for pizza's and baking ?

I guess that if I use a temp guage at the grill level I shoudl take off maybe 50 degree (f)?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited September 2013
    As mentioned, the platesetter (or any heat deflector) is the device that creates the indirect style of cooking.  Anything that you want to smoke or cook low&slow will use a platesetter.  WRT temperatures and thermos, make sure any thermo is calibrated.  Indirect cooking,  the dome will generally start about 20-40*F higher temp than the cooking grid level.  Longer the dome is shut the less the difference.  On direct cooks, the dome will be lower than the grid temp due to distance from the radiant heat of the burning lump.  Regardless of what temperature measurement you use, always cook to meat finish temperature vice time based on your thermo readings.  FWIW-YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Years ago the set-up for pizza and baking was pictured with the platesetter legs down, recent design of the LBGE has notches in the fire ring to get two different levels in the legs down set-up. That being said, the usual set-up used by many of us on this forum for high heat cooks seems to be legs up which directs less flame on the gasket. 
    Further, if you have a Maverick and want to avoid issues with it, I suggest you do not use it for direct cooks and when used for indirect cooks, always position the probe in the shadow of a setter leg. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thanks to you all 

Cheers