Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing Steaks

Options
Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new BGE user. What is the best way to sear a steak on the BGE?
I would like to end up with them at a medium.
Thanks-Ray

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    STEAKS
    <p />Ray,
    I like them seared at 700-750, 3 minutes a side (rotated after 90 seconds if you want it to be purty). Then dwell (with vents closed) for 5-8 more minutes. These were on the medium side of medium-rare, and were dwelled 5 minutes.[p]I tried them yesterday at 500 and they were good, but not great. [p]Good.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ray, By the way, for an additional taste treat, press a nice coating of cracked pepper into the steaks, and put them in the freexer for an hour. Get a low/slow fire going, and put on a couple of chunks of wood (oak or mesquite is awesome).[p]Smoke the partialy frozen steak at 180-200 max until thawed. Remove and bring egg to 700, then sear and dwell as normally. Adds a nice little smoky edge to it.[p]Enjoy!!
    NB

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I know I say this every time, but I really love that picture! There was one posted the other day from a cook on the mini that was pretty darn nice, too. I think Tim M posted one a day or so later that also looked ridiculously good.[p]OK...that's it...steak for me tomorrow...[p]Cornfed
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Ray,[p]Steak cooking involves searing both sides and then allowing the meal to cook to the desired doneness. All cooking is done with the dome closed, opening once to flip the meat. Cooking temperature is 650-750F. Cook 3 minutes on one side, flip and cook the other side 3 minutes. Then place the top ceramic cap on and close the bottom vent for the dwell time.[p]Cook timing varies with the thickness of the steak and dwell time is where this adjustment is made. A 1.25" thick cut should run a 3 minute sear and 5 minutes dwell for a nice medium. A 3/4" cut will run a 3 minute sear and a 1 minute dwell. [p]Two points need to be understood with this cook. The first is that your Egg must be hot. Allow enough time for it to heat thoroughly, you will know you're there when you have to control the airflow to hold the temp down. Adding a bunch of cool meat can drop the dome temp if not heated enough and the cooking temp will suffer. Second, be careful when opening your Egg to remove the finished steaks. It has been closed up and contains gases that need to be vented off before opening the dome. Pop the top cap and then open the bottom vent wide. Wait a couple of seconds and then crack the dome. If no smoke wisps out the opening then get your meal.[p]Enjoy.

• g-o
    g-o Posts: 39
    Options
    NB, Way to go!! Now that's a TIP. Sounds wonderful. Thanks much. Steaks for everybody.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    NB,
    Yep it does. This is the method for those who like a slight extra smoke flavor - kinda like licking a burnt tree. If you like BIG smoke flavor - this sure works!
    :-)[p]NB, you should have little labels for smoke density - like the peppers on Chinese menus for hotness. I would give it 3 smoke rings, maybe 4.[p]Tim[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    Licking a burnt tree!! Well, the ones I did when you came up were a little bit much. I smoked those over real heavy mesquite for about 45 minutes. It was overkill! [p]One wood chunk, and 15-30 minutes of moderate smoke is enough to give you good smoke flavor without feeling like you are lickin them burnt trees!![p]Cheers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Just teasing - you know. I thought you were passing along that recipe you did for me. It was a bit smokey - some would love it but it was not may taste. Maybe licking burnt tree was not correct - going in a freshly burnt building has the same taste.[p]Tim

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Those pics have me droolin for steak and it's only 7:30am! I'm gonna try that freeze&smoke technique soon. Sounds Great![p]Tractor