Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egging in the rain

Had to shut down dinner last night, as it started to rain. Anybody here have any tips for cooking in the rain, or do you also wait for better weather? Next summer I think I will build table with an umbrella. Thanks!
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,675
    First off your pirates are killing it. There's a link somewhere here... Search rain cap. Maybe buy the umbrella or better yet a canopy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thanks! Go Bucs! Been waiting a loooong time for this...
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • @pirates21, I live in Atlanta, which seems to get its fair share of rain. If the skies threaten to open up on me, I put up one of those pop-up canopies. (because I don't have a fancy table with an umbrella!)
  • I ran mine on the edge of my garage yesterday in a monsoon. Opened the garage doors and back mandoor and had a nice breeze taking the smoke away.
    Albion, PA
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,263
    +1 on a canopy. I have a popup style 10'x10' I got from Lowe's. Now is the right time of year to look out for clearance sales.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,551
    I have an old patio umbrella I put up when it is raining.  Covers the Egg and most of the table.  All you need is an umbrella stand as long as the wind isn't blowing - no table required.  BTW, I am a transplanted 'burger.  Miss yinz.  Go Bucs! Go Stillers!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • pkaboo1pkaboo1 Posts: 112

I use this, nothing stops THE EGG. The wind can be a pain in the butt.

Rain, no problem.

008.JPG 1.1M
    Snellville,Ga.
  • Where do I get a rain cap like that??
  • R3KR3K Posts: 51
    edited September 2013
  • +1 on the umbrellaimage
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• I've been cooking when there appeared to be now threat of rain and then find myself in a sudden monsoon.  The Egg handles it like a champ.  I've seen really good things about the vent cap linked above if you're really worried, but I (personally) haven't found much need for it.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • pkaboo1pkaboo1 Posts: 112
    I use this one also.
    002.JPG 653.4K
    Snellville,Ga.
  • FWIW - I cook in my driveway. My garage has been used as a warehouse since I married Wilma. I appropriated an area for my eggs. When the weather is bad or turns bad, I egg in the garage by the door. Sometimes the air gets a little thick in there, but it always smells good! I don't open the back door because the dog will get out and she'll play "Catch me if you can" for a couple of hours. I dislike that game.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• RonPRonP Posts: 8
    Do it all the time. No special gear. Wife holds the umbrella if I need to do something. Rains all the time here. We have even run the gas contraption in heavy rain....
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,368
    No problem with the egg in the rain, although I hate taking food off if it is pouring out.  I put the maverick transmitter in a zip lock bag any time it looks like it might rain.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • This was my temporary fix last winter. 

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,555
    Speed Racer is doing it right! :-bd