Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Saver

Options

I was given one of these for my birthday on Friday. I have read of guys/gals using it to vacuum pulled pork for freezing and reheating it.

What else do you guys/gals use it for?

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Freezing extra meat before it is cooked.  I have lost a lot of meat to freezer burn before I got my foodsaver.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited September 2013
    Options

I make several types of soup and then package them in pint sizes. Let the soup sit in the freezer until hard or frozen and then seal the bag.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    I have about 20#s of Hatch chilies in food saver bags right now. I also know some folks that store documents in them to prevent water damage. 

They can be used to marinade good as well as store. They're kind of awesome.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I wrap meat in serving sizes in plastic wrap and put it in a ziploc bag to get it frozen, then remove from the ziploc and vacuum seal. When ready to use, I remove it from the vacuum seal bag and put in a container in the fridge to thaw or remove the plastic wrap and defrost in the microwave. That way, you just reuse both types of bags over and over. You can use the jar sealer with Mason jars. You just need to be sure and use lids that have never been processed in a canner. You just use the flat part of the Mason jar lid, not the screw ring. Be sure and leave about 1 inch of head space for expansion after the soup, etc. is frozen. They also make canisters to be used with the sealer. I wash a whole head of green leaf lettuce and it will keep in the fridge for at least 2 weeks. Their smaller canisters will hold a sleeve of crackers, so no more stale dry goods. It really is a great appliance. I've used them since the early '80's.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • RRP
    Options
    I also re-seal many packages of other products such as half used chocolate chips, nuts used in cooking, processed bread crumbs, cookie and cracker packages. Also when I buy bulk hamburger at SAMs 10 or 15 pounds at a time I repackage and freeze. Same way with steaks chicken parts whatever bought on sale and frozen. Hey, our fishing licenses are still paper so I seal mine and keep it waterproof in my tackle box. The use is endless when you put your mind to it. Caution though some packages the plastic is too thin so be careful, but most packaging will seal together.
  • Browninggold
    Options
    I purchased the canister set when it was 50% off. Square and rectangle so I purchased a couple sets. Probably have 14 plastic canisters and 10 tall round canisters. I actually use them more than the bags...just wash and reuse. I don't see that on the FS site now though, did they quit selling the rectangle canisters?
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I seal my just smoked cheese in them to allow it to mellow out the flavor for a couple of weeks.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    My favourite is cryovac pork loin, cut some into steaks, some into schnitzel/cutlet and some into chops. Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries, flash freeze on a cookie sheet and then vac pack. Cheese - buy the big block at Costco and cut it into smaller blocks and vac pack, no more mouldy cheese. Repackaged Parma is a real money saver. 
    Marinating canister wil do in a couple hours what takes overnight in a zip lock. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HorseMover
    Options
    @RRP great tip on freezing then sealing.
    Albion, PA
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP great tip on freezing then sealing.
    Here is an added trick to easily filling those bags with soup for freezing. Take a plastic glass and cut out the bottom. Inserted in the bag it keeps the sides clean and wide open so it's a one person operation. I then fold the bags over clip and stand up in the freezer until frozen or at least semi-frozen and then seal. When sealed in the semi-frozen stage you can mold the bag shape flat for easier storage.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Awesome tip @RRP We often buy meat in the larger packages (cheaper) and break it down into meal sized portions. Great for just about anything you need to freeze. Definitely will pay for itself in the long run (or the short run).

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    We buy meat in larger sizes, especially when bone in ribeyes go on sale.  Load up and break them down, vacuum seal and into the freezer for when I want them.  Vacuum seal many leftovers from cooks and freeze them to re-heat at a later time for quick easy meals.   Basically I use my vacuum sealer for everything.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!