Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon - adapted for the Egg (pic heavy)

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've done Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon, step by step from the recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking with fantastic results, but it is a very time consuming cook.  Looked at a bunch of alternative recipes and heres what I came up with.

Everything prepped.  Used a 4 1/2 pound Chuck Roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.  First variation from Julia - I had sliced bacon, but not lardons.Julia boils the bacon to remove the salty and smokey flavor (blasphemy).  I like bacon flavor, so I just fried up a few slices in the DO with a little bit of EVOO.

After the bacon was cooked (not quite crispy), it was removed to a plate and the beef (or Boeuf) was browned in the hot oil.  Make sure the beef is dry or it will not brown (one of the more important rules I learned from Julia.

Once the beef is browned on all sides, it is added to the plate with the bacon.  Here's where we again vary from Julia - she prepares the pearl onions separately, and uses sliced onions in this stage.  I just cooked up the carrots and pearl onions in the hot grease for a couple minutes.

Deglazed the pan with some Pinot Noir

And add back in the beef and bacon.

Add about 2/3 bottle of the wine, and enough beef broth to almost cover everything.

Bring to a boil, and place in preheated Egg at 300.  Important lesson learned.  With the CI DO in the Egg, lid won't close all the way due to the dome temp probe.  Bent the heck out of it, but it still worked.  The bend helped hold it half out of the Egg so the dome closed completely.

After simmering on the Egg for 2 1/2 hours (dropped the temp to 275 to keep a nice simmer, all the goodies are drained from the liquid.  

Liquid was returned to the side burner and boiled down to thicken, then poured over the stew.

If you count the beef pieces in the last 2 shots, you will notice the final presentation has fewer.  While I was outside finishing the sauce, the family couldn't resist and started eating.  Didn't even let me finish the cook.  Final meal was served with boiled potatoes as per Julia.  Great cook for the first day of Fall.  

Comments