Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket today - doing it turbo

Options
I have only egged a couple of times in the last month and a half due to being away 6 weekends in a row plus some midweek travel and a vacation.  Getting back into the saddle finally and decided to do my first Brisket.  Based on everything I have read here, I decided to try going turbo as I want to serve mid afternoon today.

Picked up a 9.75 lb packer at WalMart (only place I could find a packer).  Trimmed it up (thanks Youtube for the instructional videos) and rubbed down with the same rub I use for pork.  Got the fire built and grid temp stabilized at 300 with some Hickory chunks, put the brisket on the grill at about 8:15 AM.  An hour and a half in, the IT is up to 140, I'm expecting it to stall though.  Updates and more pics to follow.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Looks good, let us know how it goes. Does your pork rub have much sugar in it?
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    What is the estimated time frame your expecting.4 or 6 hrs?. FTC after certain temp?

Will be waiting for the results.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    10:45, IT is up to 176.  Dialed the grid temp back to 275.
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    12:00 still at 176, so I foiled.  Looking and smelling great!
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    At 12:00 I raised the grate temp (according to maverick) to 350..  Stall ended after about 15 minutes, and at 1:00 IT was 203, so I pulled and FTC.  Total cook time was under 4 hours, I hope it is good!  Will be serving at about 3:30 with cole slaw, pasta salad, and baked beans.  I'll try to remember to take some sliced pictures.  
    Looks good, let us know how it goes. Does your pork rub have much sugar in it?
    My rub recipe is below.  Not sure if you consider this a lot of sugar.  I usually make a triple batch so I always have some on hand.  I did add some extra kosher salt to the mix before rubbing today.
    • 2 tablespoons salt 
    • 2 tablespoons sugar 
    • 3 tablespoons brown sugar 
    • 2 tablespoons ground cumin 
    • 2 tablespoons chili powder 
    • 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper 
    • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
    • 1/4 cup paprika 

Rochester, NY
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Ok. Hurry up. It's 3:22. 

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    3:50 and waiting....
    Dunedin, FL
  • Cookinbob
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Sorry for the delay, but once I pulled from the cooler it was time to eat.........4:00 pulled from the cooler, sliced and served.  It was awesome.  Moist and really flavorful, still plenty hot, and the rub added some nice heat.  It really did not need any sauce, though a couple of folks added JD sauce on the side.

I have done briskets before on a vertical smoker, but never a whole packer, and never had the temp monitoring I do today.  This was far and away the best brisket I ever did.  My son helped a team at a competition yesterday and said this was right in there.

Only 4 hours on the grill to FTC.  Not sure I would mess with an overnighter.  This was absolutely a success, but to give credit where due, I figured it out by combing this forum.  The answers are all here!
    Rochester, NY
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That does look great.  Nice work and thanks for sharing
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95