Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ Question

Options
Hello:

I am cooking some ribs today, baby back, 3 racks with a home made rub. I just got a DigiQ DX2 and I used it yesterday with good results. Today I have it clipped to the grid, first I had it near the 12:00 position a few inches from the edge of the grid and over the platesetter with the wire running out through the dome hinge area. Its holding the temp at 250*, but the dome temp is about 50* higher. So I moved the probe to the 4:00 position still over the PS with the same result. Now I have moved it so it is not over the PS and its chirping since its now near 300*, so I hope it will come down some. Where is best to locate the probe? Should I put it on the dome thermometer?

Thanks!

Comments

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I usually clip it to the 12 o'clock position as you mentioned and I run my wires out through the 10 o'clock position.  Dome temp usually runs a bit higher than the grid temp.  Try clipping your DigiQ to the BGE dome thermo and see what you get.  You may also need to calibrate your BGE thermo.  Good luck and enjoy the DigiQ. 
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • jeffreytotaro
    Options
    Thanks @RajunCajun, I moved it to the dome and now its within 5*. I guess that is the most reliable place for it. I got big swings between over the PS and not.
    Cheers!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options

Well, keep in mind that you are cooking at grid level and not dome. In other words if you are doing a 250deg cook you probably want that temp at the grid and not in the dome.  Just my two cents...

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • bakoque
    Options
    I use the BBQ Guru probe tree.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    The dome and grid temps will eventually equalize. I always clip to dome thermo and never had problems.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • rdmudd
    Options
    I put my probe anywhere over the plate setter. That keeps you from getting hot spot readings from over hot coals.
  • jeffreytotaro
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advise! I'll keep playing around with it. The ribs came out great! Just straight through 5 hours, no foil. I like them dryer. Love the DigiQ, lets me do other stuff rather than check the Egg every 15 minutes (I'm new to this stuff).