Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My first brisket and I can't taste a darn thing!

Bought a 4.3lb flat brisket the other day.  Not the best looking piece of meat but it was reduced for quick sale.

Did a mustard coating following by a spice/brown sugar rub I use on pork shoulders.

Set the medium egg up under a patio umbrella because of rain.  Got egg to 250 and put it on the egg at 5:30pm. Pulled it off at 200deg around midnight.

Here's the tragic part.  I let it rest for a while, then cut into it, and took a bite.  The whole house has been sick all week and I have no real sense of taste.  I can tell it's not dry and it's tender, but as far as flavor, nada.  I think I got a hint of smoke, but that's it.
·

Comments

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Well, you have a nice little smoke ring so you definitely hit it with some smoke...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • If you were already stuffed up and had trouble tasting and then add to it that you were outside smelling the smoke I can see that the flavour would seem lacking to you.  I find the next day there will be a more pronounced flavour.  Looks good sure it tastes good too.

Gerhard
    ·