Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I be worried about this broken screw?

Options
How much should I be worried about the below pics? Was doing a check of the screws around the band, and found 3 of 4 scews near the spring completely loose and not tight at all. After tightening the 3 loose screws, I went to tighten the only one that wasn't loose, and it completely broke off. Didn't even put much torque on it.

I have a lot of travel coming up, and I really don't feel like taking the bands completely off to replace that screw. Will I be good till the spring like this?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    yes be worried about it and replace it. BTW those things are called nuts and bolts, not screws. Take one to a good hardware store and someone can fixe you up with a stainless steel replacement bolt.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with RRP-figure out how to fix or be ready for ceramic fracture. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Yeah, you can't over tighten those bolts.  If you don't have a dealer close by...shoot me an email bge@EggsbytheBay.com with your mailing address and we will send you a replacement cinch bolt and nut.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    As mentioned above, I definitely wouldn't try to use the egg in that condition. That is a stud that goes through that hole from the back side of the lower band which will necessitate removing the band to get access. If you have someone to help, you you may be able to just loosen the lower band and lift the dome enough to get access from the rear.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Happened to me about a few months ago but my egg came with an extra cinch bolt and nut.Guess yours never came with extras??

Dont overtighten it.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Biggins - Never noticed until your post, but did your egg come with those locking nuts? My early 2012 MBGE has acorn nuts for the cinch bolts. 

@SMITTYtheSMOKER - any comments or thoughts? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    My 2012 small has the Kep nuts on it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    @Biggins - Never noticed until your post, but did your egg come with those locking nuts? My early 2012 MBGE has acorn nuts for the cinch bolts. 

@SMITTYtheSMOKER - any comments or thoughts? 
    There was a switch to the all-black hardware about a year ago.  Acorn nuts were part of the all black change.   We've recently seen another change with a bigger acorn nut that doesn't require a washer.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I would keep using it with caution. I would definitely replace it asap. I would take the dome off and do it right. I would take up the generous offer of  SMITTYtheSMOKER and get a free bolt. You are not going to find these bolts at a hardware store.  Forum feel free to correct me but I believe the are called "kep" bolts. They don't really have a head on them and they are sized to fit and grab the countersink on the band. Just my 2 cnts.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser