Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Smoked Turkey Breast and Legs

NautiRogueNautiRogue Posts: 99
edited September 2013 in Poultry
Just decided to make something up this afternoon. We bought a 7.5 pound bone-in turkey breast and a couple of legs at Earth Fair. I've cleaned the meat and trimmed some of the extra fat. 

For the breast, I've separated the skin from the breast and coated it liberally with squeezable margarine. I mixed some fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme and very roughly chopped the spices, Quartered an orange, and diced an onion. I squeezed the oranges into the spice and added a couple cups of apple juice. Mixed it all thoroughly, and shoved the moist aromatics under the skin.  The remaining liquid will be used in the drip pan.  Drizzled the breast with olive oil and rubbed it with Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree lemon pepper rub. 

The breast is going in the V rack in a drip pan with the apple juice and some beer.  (Red Stripe is all i had on hand!). This will go on the EGG configured for indirect heat (plate setter, legs up) at 300 degrees with maple wood for smoke. 

In the meantime, I'm brining the legs in a Kosher salt, sugar, water, and apple juice solution. 

The plan is to monitor the breast with the CyberQ. As the breast reaches about 100 degrees, the legs will go girectly on the grid (covered in tin foil) and will be mopped regularly with Hot Bone Suckin' Sauce. Hopefully, both meats will reach 165 close to the same time!

We're serving the turkey with garlic bread and corn on the cob.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Comments