Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

torque?

Ok... so I have beaten this band and bolt assembly issue of mine to death but I still have a question. I have ordered a 10-150 lb torque wrench and while I have no idea how much 10 foot pounds of torque is it just seems like a small amount seeing its the lowest setting and all? 

For those who have torqued there carridge bolts  to 10 ft/lbs like the instructions say is that enough to bend the bolts like we a supposed to? I figure ill get my wrench and torque to spec and the bolts won't be bent at that point??? Will they?

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• My bolts aren't bent...just the band ends. I torqued to 10lbs???????
    Albion, PA
  • Sounds like a Crappy Tire torque wrench to me my old cockey

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Don't have the wrench yet but I just got a feeling they won't bend? Over tightened my last Band assembly that's why everything is slipping at high temp I believe just want to get it right this time.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • I don't bend the bolts. To my way of thinking, no matter how much you tighten, the bands will stretch and then expand with heat. I just use an open end wrench and tighten them. Sometimes I don't even bend the tabs. Snug them if you get any wobble in the dome. That's just me though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    I torqued my bolts, I bent the bolts and the band.
    Aurora,OH
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You probably ordered a 1/2" torque wrench.   10 ft-lbs is at the low end of the scale.  A 3/8" wrench would have had a scale more in the "sweet spot".  That said, it should be fine.  If it's accurate, to spec is always fine.
    edited September 2013
    Torque is a simple concept, 10 foot pounds means to apply 10 pounds of pressure to a 1 foot long wrench. I think the BGE manual uses the term 120 inch pounds, given there are 12 inches in a foot, 120/12=10 foot pounds. If you hung a 10 pound pork butt on the end of a 12 inch long wrench, once the wrench no longer falls, you have 10 foot pounds or torque.

Another way of looking at this if you had a 6 inch wrench, typical for a 5/16 or 1/2 inch wrench, the distance is only 1/2 a foot. You would need to apply 20 pounds of force to the end of 6 inch wrench to get 10 foot pounds of torque. Many 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch drive wrenches have a range topping out around 50 foot pounds. 

Of course us Canucks are supposed to be using Newton Metres (that's OK 'cause 10 foot pounds is about 12.5 newton metres - close enough)

The bolts and band flanges will be bent with 10 foot pounds. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!