Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many ribs per person?

Options
Hello All
I am new to the BGE and just got my Large last week. I have been really enjoying the forum and have learned tons, so thank you. I did a test cook of some ribs last week and they came out great, 5 hours, 275ish.

I'm curious what a good rule of thumb is for how many ribs per person when planning for a group. We are having 6 adults over tomorrow.

Thanks!

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Depends on the ribs.  Baby backs, depending on what else you're serving, figure half a slab per person.  St. Louis / Spares, a little less.  Beef back ribs, probably just 2--3 bones per person.

This is based on the ribs I've cooked (baby and St. Louis from Costco, beef from Publix).  The ribs I get at Costco tend to be way meatier than what some of the chain restaurants server, particularly the baby backs.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd do 3 racks. I usually plan on 3 ribs for ladies... Half a rack for the guys. Also depends on appetizers, amount of sides, desserts...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jeffreytotaro
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Sorry I forgot to mention baby backs. I think I'll do three then, although I can fit 4 on the Egg in the rib rack. I prefer them dry and smoked straight through. I tried the foil method, but prefer the dry. I'll let the guests add some sauce if they want.

Thanks!
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Do 4 and take any leftovers for lunch.  You'll be surprised how much people can eat when you serve them good ribs.  This is 6 racks of baby backs and 9 people ate most of them.  What didnt get eaten, people took home for later.  I got to keep a half rack for my own lunch the next day.

photo IMG_20130902_122219241_zps884343a1.jpg
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    What's your setup?  Is there a stone suspended down in there for indirect?  It doesn't look like there's room for a plate setter.  Is there anything holding up the ribs...or just each other?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    If you got some hungry boys coming over for ribs, they could go through a slab each; I did that in my younger days.  On the other hand, if you're having a bunch of snacks and appetizers first, you could end up with a slab feeding 3 pretty easy.  I like making extra when guests come over - no one leaves hungry.  Plus as Dweebs pointed out, ribs are good left over.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.