Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who owns a BGE Chiminea?

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can you tell me about it?[p]What kind of wood does one use in it?

Comments

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    Deetwood,[p]I own a BGE chiminea. It takes whatever kind of wood we cut small enough to fit. We take regular firewood and cut it into two or three piece blocks and just pitch a couple of those in and it works great. we keep a duraflame log around and just break chunks off to light the chiminea. [p]I love that chiminea. It's a darned efficient heating thingy...
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Deetwood,
    I second everything Dos told you, the thing really cranks out some heat. You can see some pictures of mine on my website in the "tips" section....

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Deetwood,
    A word of caution. I would make sure that your chiminea is seasoned well before getting a roaring fire built up. Otherwise, you may have a nice hot pile of clay shards at your feet. They will and do crack if not seasoned with small fires to cure the clay. This is especially true for one soaked by rain..... Like using creek rocks for your campfire ring.[p]Pete

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    Sespe Pete,[p]One word of warning from me too. The Chiminea is NOT made of the same thickness of material as the bge cookers are. If you touch your BGE at 400 degrees, you will be fine. [p]You touch the chiminea at that temp or higher, and you'll stick to the darned thing. [p]That's not to dissuade anyone. Just know it's thermal properties are not the same...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    isn't the chiminea made of ceramic too?
    meaning, the whole 'getting wet', 'curing' issue is moot?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dos Huevos
    Options
    stike,[p]It's made of ceramic, but it's a fraction of the thickness of the bge. I didn't cure mine (mostly because I didn't even think to do it) and we had no issues. [p]Like I said, our biggest issue is that walking by it when it's full on fired is like icarus flying too close to the sun. [p](translation: it's hot dood).
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    In my search for the perfect chiminea, I bought & threw away several. The metal ones either rusted or warped. The clay ones cracked.[p]The local BGE dealer advised me not to by the BGE chiminea as it was too heavy & expensive.[p]I found a cast aluminum, Venetian model that also can be used for cooking. It is light & thus moveable & burns perfectly. There is a picture os it in the Grill Lovers magazine. There is a web page with that name. They may be cheaper on the web page.[p]Hopes that helps.[p]

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    lissin to you... all 'Icarus' and everything with yer book-learnin...[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Dos Huevos, My husband knows all about sticking to it! That was a bad day.... JCA

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Deetwood,
    I have an official Blue BGE Chiminea. We don’t use it that often, but it does sit outside constantly. I use the same red oak that I process into chunks for smoking wood, but leave it in splits instead. I have purchased a 12 inch cast iron drain cover to lift the fire off of the floor of the chiminea. I have had it for many years now and it has yet to turn into a pile of clay.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• stike,[p]A Chiminea, made by BGE, is just one of the many Chimineas available in this world. In fact, except for the BGE model, all I have seen are clay-based, out of Mexico, with or without a glaze applied. And, I have watched them crack...right out of the box, so to speak... I have also seen them fill up with water, during a good rain storm. Now, that takes care in re-seasoning.[p]If yours is a non-BGE, then the above warning certainly has merit.[p]Pete