Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How many ribs per person?

Hello All
I am new to the BGE and just got my Large last week. I have been really enjoying the forum and have learned tons, so thank you. I did a test cook of some ribs last week and they came out great, 5 hours, 275ish.

I'm curious what a good rule of thumb is for how many ribs per person when planning for a group. We are having 6 adults over tomorrow.

Thanks!

·

Comments

• njlnjl Posts: 818
    Depends on the ribs.  Baby backs, depending on what else you're serving, figure half a slab per person.  St. Louis / Spares, a little less.  Beef back ribs, probably just 2--3 bones per person.

This is based on the ribs I've cooked (baby and St. Louis from Costco, beef from Publix).  The ribs I get at Costco tend to be way meatier than what some of the chain restaurants server, particularly the baby backs.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,573
    I'd do 3 racks. I usually plan on 3 ribs for ladies... Half a rack for the guys. Also depends on appetizers, amount of sides, desserts...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Thanks for the info! Sorry I forgot to mention baby backs. I think I'll do three then, although I can fit 4 on the Egg in the rib rack. I prefer them dry and smoked straight through. I tried the foil method, but prefer the dry. I'll let the guests add some sauce if they want.

Thanks!
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    edited September 2013
    Do 4 and take any leftovers for lunch.  You'll be surprised how much people can eat when you serve them good ribs.  This is 6 racks of baby backs and 9 people ate most of them.  What didnt get eaten, people took home for later.  I got to keep a half rack for my own lunch the next day.

photo IMG_20130902_122219241_zps884343a1.jpg
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 818
    What's your setup?  Is there a stone suspended down in there for indirect?  It doesn't look like there's room for a plate setter.  Is there anything holding up the ribs...or just each other?
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,361
    If you got some hungry boys coming over for ribs, they could go through a slab each; I did that in my younger days.  On the other hand, if you're having a bunch of snacks and appetizers first, you could end up with a slab feeding 3 pretty easy.  I like making extra when guests come over - no one leaves hungry.  Plus as Dweebs pointed out, ribs are good left over.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·