Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Autumn sage-sausage crust pumpkin fatty pie, pumpkin spice scones, and salted pumpkin seed biscotti

Took a half day yesterday to usher in Autumn. This year’s pumpkin cook includes a sage-sausage crust pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice scones, and salted pumpkin seed biscotti.

To make, slice & grill the pumpkin until soft, scoop it out & then into a pot with some ‘Spice of Life’ pumpkin wine, boil off all liquid and continually mash the pumpkin until it’s a nice consistency. This is the base pulp for all three cooks.

For the pie, incorporate the pumpkin into pie filling using whatever recipe you like. For the fatty ‘crust’ I used a roll of Jimmy Dean sage sausage. Roll it out to a uniform thickness and then lay it in a pie crust, trim & crimp the edges then add the filling. Into the egg indirect @ 400. It took a little over an hour to cook.

On the plate with whipped cream & a chilled glass of Spice of Life. The saltiness of the crust went really well with the pie.

For the scones I used my standard scone recipe (2.5 cups of flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, pinch of salt, one stick of butter, & 2 eggs, to that I added one cup of brown sugar and about a cup and a half of the pumpkin and some pumpkin spice seasoning):

350 degrees for about 40 minutes:

Cooling off:

A nice drizzle:

Breakfast:

For the biscotti, I used my standard recipe (3 cups of flour, some corn meal, tablespoon of baking powder, pinch of salt, one stick of butter & two eggs, to that I added a cup of the fresh pumpkin, a cup of brown sugar, more pumpkin spice seasoning and the toasted & salted pumpkin seeds). First, separate & rinse the seeds, toss in olive oil and salt & pop on the grill until nice & golden brown:

About 35 minutes later, first bake is done:

Another 15 minute bake after slicing:

Fall has arrived in Pennsylvania like clockwork, the weather is perfect

·

Comments

• Awesome looking cooks. That pie thing is outta bounce!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • Get enough pics in there? You suck!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,429
    Mother pussbucket... Looks freaking great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    I'm stupid... Explain the pie filling please.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Nice work there. Makes me a little jealous since it's still 90 degrees here and doesn't feel like fall.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • That pie idea is AWESOME! Very nice cook, thanks for the post. Definite bookmark.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
    henapple said:
    I'm stupid... Explain the pie filling please.
    the pie filling is 2 cups of the cooked pumpkin (substituting for one can of the pre-digested looking crap), one 12oz can of evaporated milk, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup brown sugar, a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice & a pinch of salt.  Beat this all together & pour into the pie tin.  Keep in mind it will be very liquidy, won't seem possible that it can firm up but it will
    ·
    Zippy... Has it been a while since you've posted? I cooked your stuffed pears at Salado... Big hit with the ladies.
    ·
    edited September 2013

It has been a while, I have unsuccessfully tried to post some stuff but most of the time I get a message telling me that my post is waiting for approval which never comes.  Not sure why sometimes it works without issue like this one but I always take a crack at it at least once

And yea those stuffed pears are good, reminds me it's about time for a batch

·
    Man, hang in here... Love your recipes. Thanks for posting. Pumpkin is on the agenda.
    ·
  • Learning to SmokeLearning to Smoke Posts: 86
    edited September 2013
    @Zippylip Awesome cooks. Just curious, did you bake the scones and biscotti in the egg or oven?
    ·
  • Super creative.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
    @Zippylip Awesome cooks. Just curious, did you bake the scones and biscotti in the egg or oven?

sorry for the late reply, I did not bake these batches in the egg however I do so frequently; I set the egg up as if for pizza then just pop the pan right on top elevated on some egg feet.  Here is a link to one that I did on the egg:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1027624#Comment_1027624

·