Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fries

Did some steak and frites for dinner tonight.  Thanks @Skiddymarker and @radamo for the tip on double frying the fries.  Worked out great.  Flat Iron steak, rubbed with Texas Roadhouse rub, indirect at 320 until 100 IT, then let rest.  Meanwhile, did the first fry of the fries, at 325 for about 6 minutes, until getting translucent, then drained and let cool.  Raised the Egg up to 425 for the garlic cheese biscuits, and reverse seared the steak for about 90 seconds a side, on the CI Hibachi.  Steak came off and rested, while the fries went back in to 375 degree oil for about 3 minutes.  Nice and crispy without being over cooked.  

Comments

• where did you get your pan with the holes in the bottom. The fries look great.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    The pan is foil - get them at the grocery store, with all the foil pans.  They are great used over another pan for doing bacon on the Egg.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I did some experimenting with making fries on the egg itself, I think a smoke flavor on potatoes would be good.  Never could come up with something that was both easy and tasty.
    Maybe next year.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice, is that a Lodge CI hibachi?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    DMW said:
    Nice, is that a Lodge CI hibachi?

Yep, it's a Lodge. Repurposed the gasser to bring it up to cooking height.
    radamo Posts: 373
    Nice looking cook.  Glad the fries came out well.

Long Island, NY
  • If you know in advance you're having fries, you can cook them just until they brown, not too hard, then let them cool and bag them in the fridge overnight.  They will be very crispy on the second fry.  Of course works for left overs too.

Oil temp is important, more important than I realized for 40 years of cooking.  Did not realize it until I got a Thermapen so I actually know the temp.  All those years I had been cooking them too cool I believe.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Great idea on using the thermapen for checking the oil temp. I fry  a lot of things one of these and never trusted the dial. Will be using my thremapen from now on. image
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    At work we blanch out fries at 360 and put themminnthe fridge to cool overnight not covered. This gives the starch a chance to dry out and create a thin "crust". Then fry them at 370. Best chips ever. We also only use kennebec potatoes.