Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Did some steak and frites for dinner tonight.  Thanks @Skiddymarker and @radamo for the tip on double frying the fries.  Worked out great.  Flat Iron steak, rubbed with Texas Roadhouse rub, indirect at 320 until 100 IT, then let rest.  Meanwhile, did the first fry of the fries, at 325 for about 6 minutes, until getting translucent, then drained and let cool.  Raised the Egg up to 425 for the garlic cheese biscuits, and reverse seared the steak for about 90 seconds a side, on the CI Hibachi.  Steak came off and rested, while the fries went back in to 375 degree oil for about 3 minutes.  Nice and crispy without being over cooked.  
It's not a science, it's an art. And it's flawed.
- Camp Hill, PA

• where did you get your pan with the holes in the bottom. The fries look great.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,439
    The pan is foil - get them at the grocery store, with all the foil pans.  They are great used over another pan for doing bacon on the Egg.  
    - Camp Hill, PA
  • garlic cheese biscuits.....mmmmmmmmm! Looks excellent. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,490
    I did some experimenting with making fries on the egg itself, I think a smoke flavor on potatoes would be good.  Never could come up with something that was both easy and tasty.
    Maybe next year.  
    Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,478
    Nice, is that a Lodge CI hibachi?
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,439
    DMW said:
    Nice, is that a Lodge CI hibachi?

Yep, it's a Lodge. Repurposed the gasser to bring it up to cooking height.
    - Camp Hill, PA
  • radamoradamo Posts: 362
    Nice looking cook.  Glad the fries came out well.

Long Island, NY
  • If you know in advance you're having fries, you can cook them just until they brown, not too hard, then let them cool and bag them in the fridge overnight.  They will be very crispy on the second fry.  Of course works for left overs too.

Oil temp is important, more important than I realized for 40 years of cooking.  Did not realize it until I got a Thermapen so I actually know the temp.  All those years I had been cooking them too cool I believe.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• HotchHotch Posts: 1,569
    Great idea on using the thermapen for checking the oil temp. I fry  a lot of things one of these and never trusted the dial. Will be using my thremapen from now on. image

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

• hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,337
    At work we blanch out fries at 360 and put themminnthe fridge to cool overnight not covered. This gives the starch a chance to dry out and create a thin "crust". Then fry them at 370. Best chips ever. We also only use kennebec potatoes.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.