Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket!

Options
Hi everyone, I'm a new Egger & have been convinced to participate in an Egg-off at work.  We're each doing a Texas brisket & I was hoping for some advice from those with more experience.  I have only done one brisket on the Egg so far & while the flavor was good, it was not nearly as tender as I'd like & pretty dry.  After doing some research I think that A) I wasn't using the right cut (flat v Texas) and B) I just didn't leave it on there long enough. 
My questions are:
Rough guesstimate for a 15lb Texas time-wise?  (I do have a Thermapen, this is mostly for planning purposes)
How to keep it moist? Someone has recommended spraying it with apple juice.
Am I aiming for somewhere between 200-250 or do I need to be more picky about temp?
Dry rub recipes!  I just faked it the last time, throwing together whatever I had, I'd love to hear what's worked for other people.

Thanks in advance!
Allie
Large Egg, quickly becoming the love of my life.

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Since you're in Texas, just use S&P for the rub. If you want to add a little something else, cayenne or bad byron's butt rub could be added. Go heavy with the rub, but don't pile it on.

250° is a fine temp. Some go higher to finish in a faster time, some go lower (225° is the traditional/magical low n slow number). It's up to you and your time allotted. There's not too much of a difference on the egg since it helps the meat retain moisture anyway.

Cook to an internal temp of around 190° and then start checking for doneness (therm will slide in and out at the thickest part of the flat without any resistance). I typically pull the brisket off the egg between 196-205° IT.

Once you pull it, wrap it in foil, wrap it in 2-3 towels, and throw it in a cooler for at least an hour (up to 6 hours in the cooler is ok).

The most important part to me is 3-5 oak chunks mixed throughout the lump.

S&P rub, oak for smoke, 250° to IT of at least 190°... You got yourself a winning Texas brisket.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Oh and don't forget to trim the brisket of all the hard fat. Go check out Aaron Franklin's YouTube videos for more info. http://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Post oak for wood.
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    Be sure to let us know how it turns out. We're rooting for you!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• gerhardk
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about keeping it moist, the moist feeling you get from the brisket is the melting fat and connective tissue.  

Gerhard